Search, Effort, and Locus of Control
We test the hypothesis that locus of control – one's perception of control over events in life – influences search by affecting beliefs about the efficacy of search effort in a laboratory experiment. We find that reservation offers and effort are increasing in the belief that one's efforts influence outcomes when subjects exert effort without knowing how effort influences the generation of offers but are unrelated to locus of control beliefs when subjects are informed about the relationship between effort and offers. These effects cannot be explained by locus of control's correlation with unmeasured human capital, personality traits, and the costs of search – alternative explanations for the relationships between locus of control and search behavior that cannot be ruled out using survey data – as the search task does not vary across treatments, which leads us to conclude that locus of control influences search through beliefs about the efficacy of search effort. Our findings provide evidence that locus of control measures can be used to identify job seekers at risk of becoming "discouraged" and abandoning search.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rémi Piatek & Pia Pinger, 2010.
"Maintaining (Locus of) Control?: Assessing the Impact of Locus of Control on Education Decisions and Wages,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
338, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Piatek, Rémi & Pinger, Pia R., 2010. "Maintaining (locus of) control? Assessing the impact of locus of control on education decisions and wages," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-093, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Piatek, Rémi & Pinger, Pia, 2010. "Maintaining (Locus of) Control? Assessing the Impact of Locus of Control on Education Decisions and Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 5289, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan D. Baron & Deborah Cobb-Clark, 2010.
"Are Young People's Educational Outcomes Linked to Their Sense of Control?,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2010n05, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Barón, Juan D. & Cobb-Clark, Deborah A., 2010. "Are Young People's Educational Outcomes Linked to their Sense of Control?," IZA Discussion Papers 4907, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan D. Barón & Deborah Cobb-Clark, 2010. "Are Young People's Educational Outcomes Linked to their Sense of Control?," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 006978, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan D. Barón & Deborah Cobb-Clark, . "Are Young People's Educational Outcomes Linked to their Sense of Control?," Borradores de Economia 599, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Herbert Gintis & Samuel Bowles & Melissa Osborne, 2001.
"Incentive-Enhancing Preferences: Personality, Behavior, and Earnings,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 155-158, May.
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis & Melissa Osborne, 2001. "Incentive-Enhancing Preferences: Personality, Behavior and Earnings," Working Papers 01-01-004, Santa Fe Institute.
- Paul J. Andrisani, 1977. "Internal-External Attitudes, Personal Initiative, and the Labor Market Experience of Black and White Men," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 12(3), pages 308-328.
- Caliendo, Marco & Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Uhlendorff, Arne, 2010.
"Locus of Control and Job Search Strategies,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4750, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Meta Brown & Christopher J. Flinn & Andrew Schotter, 2011.
"Real-Time Search in the Laboratory and the Market,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(2), pages 948-74, April.
- Meta Brown & Christopher Flinn & Andrew Schotter, 2009. "Real-Time Search in the Laboratory and the Market," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 135, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Meta Brown & Christopher J. Flinn & Andrew Schotter, 2009. "Real-time search in the laboratory and the market," Staff Reports 410, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Margo Coleman & Thomas DeLeire, 2003.
"An Economic Model of Locus of Control and the Human Capital Investment Decision,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(3).
- Thomas DeLeire & Margo Coleman, 2000. "An Economic Model of Locus of Control and the Human Capital Investment Decision," Working Papers 0019, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Groves, Melissa Osborne, 2005. "How important is your personality? Labor market returns to personality for women in the US and UK," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 827-841, December.
- Goldsmith, Arthur H & Veum, Jonathan R & Darity, William, Jr, 1997. "The Impact of Psychological and Human Capital on Wages," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(4), pages 815-29, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5948. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.