Economic fluctuations and retirement of older employees
This paper studies the way in which labor market fluctuations affect the transition to early retirement among older employees in Sweden via the practice of negotiated pensions. The results indicate that downturns (upturns) in aggregated industry employment increases (decreases) the probability of early retirement. This result is driven by the public sector; in general the evidence is much weaker in the private sector. The results also suggest that the replacement levels immediately after early retirement are higher during declining as well as expanding industry employment. The results support an interpretation that 1) the employer and employee agreed on special early retirement pensions, and 2) that these were used in order to persuade older employees to quit voluntarily, but also that they worked to reward older employees.
|Date of creation:||25 Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1976. "Temporary Layoffs in the Theory of Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 937-57, October.
- Eklöf, Matias & Hallberg, Daniel, 2006. "Estimating retirement behavior with special early retirement offers," Working Paper Series 2006:13, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Eklöf, Matias & Hallberg, Daniel, 2004. "Private Alternatives and Early Retirement Programs," Working Paper Series 2004:5, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Hutchens, Robert, 1999. "Social Security Benefits and Employer Behavior: Evaluating Social Security Early Retirement Benefits as a Form of Unemployment Insurance," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 659-78, August.
- Luc Behaghel & Bruno Crépon & Béatrice Sédillot, 2006.
"The perverse effects of partial employment protection reform : experience rating and french old workers,"
Research Unit Working Papers
0608, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Behaghel, Luc & Crépon, Bruno & Sédillot, Béatrice, 2005. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Employment Protection Reform: Experience Rating and French Older Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 1679, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Idson, Todd L & Valletta, Robert G, 1996. "Seniority, Sectoral Decline, and Employee Retention: An Analysis of Layoff Unemployment Spells," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(4), pages 654-76, October.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua Angrist, 1998.
"Consequences of Employment Protection? The Case of the Americans with Disabilities Act,"
98-13, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua D. Angrist, 2001. "Consequences of Employment Protection? The Case of the Americans with Disabilities Act," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 915-957, October.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua Angrist, 1998. "Consequences of Employment Protection? The Case of the Americans with Disabilities Act," NBER Working Papers 6670, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Courtney C. Coile & Phillip B. Levine, 2006.
"Bulls, bears, and retirement behavior,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 59(3), pages 408-429, April.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Fredriksson, Peter, 2000.
"LINDA - Longitudinal INdividual DAta for Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
2000:19, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Palme, Mårten & Svensson, Ingemar, 2002. "Pathways to Retirement and Retirement Incentives in Sweden," Arbetsrapport 2002:9, Institute for Futures Studies.
- Charles Brown, .
"Early Retirement Windows,"
Pension Research Council Working Papers
98-17, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1978. "The Effect of Unemployment Insurance on Temporary Layoff Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(5), pages 834-46, December.
- Topel, Robert H, 1984. "Experience Rating of Unemployment Insurance and the Incidence of Unemployment," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(1), pages 61-90, April.
- Hurd, Michael D, 1990. "Research on the Elderly: Economic Status, Retirement, and Consumption and Saving," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 565-637, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2008_002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margareta Wicklander)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.