Economic Incentives and Labour Market Transitions of the Aged Finnish Workforce
This PhD thesis is a collection of studies on retirement in Finland. The main purpose is to assess labour market transitions of the aged and focus on the e.ect of the economic incentives. All of the studies are empirical and use large micro panels. The first study describes the main features of the pension system, and tests whether economic incentives have an e.ect on how long individuals stay at work. The second study takes a deeper focus on disability and unemployment, and analyses the e.ect of the disability application rejections. The third study assesses part-time retirements. Financial incentives for full-time work, part-time pension and full-time pension are compared, and estimates are provided for the most likely labour market choice in case the part-time pension is not available. The fourth study considers the e.ect of the incentives to the firm to displace their elderly workers.
|Date of creation:||20 Jun 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Gruber & David Wise, 1997. "Social Security Programs and Retirement Around the World: Introduction and Summary of Papers by..," NBER Working Papers 6134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ossi Korkeamäki & Tomi Kyyrä, 2000. "Integrated Panel of Finnish Companies and Workers," Discussion Papers 226, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Hall, Robert E & Lazear, Edward P, 1984.
"The Excess Sensitivity of Layoffs and Quits to Demand,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(2), pages 233-57, April.
- Robert E. Hall & Edward P. Lazear, 1982. "The Excess Sensitivity of Layoffs and Quits to Demand," NBER Working Papers 0864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1976. "Temporary Layoffs in the Theory of Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 937-57, October.
- Richard Arnott & Arthur Hosios & Joseph Stiglitz, 1983.
"Implicit Contracts, Labour Mobility and Unemployment,"
543, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Arnott, Richard J & Hosios, Arthur J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1988. "Implicit Contracts, Labor Mobility, and Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1046-66, December.
- Richard J. Arnott & Arthur Hosios & Joseph Stiglitz, 1987. "Implicit Contracts, Labor Mobility and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 2316, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rust, J., 1994.
"How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets,"
9430, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- John Rust & Christopher Phelan, 1997. "How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 781-832, July.
- John Rust & Christopher Phelan, 1994. "How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets," Public Economics 9406005, EconWPA, revised 06 Jul 1994.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Olivia S. Mitchell, .
"New Developments in the Economic Analysis of Retirement,"
Pension Research Council Working Papers
98-8, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L. & Mitchell, Olivia S., 1999. "New developments in the economic analysis of retirement," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 49, pages 3261-3307 Elsevier.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1978. "The Effect of Unemployment Insurance on Temporary Layoff Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(5), pages 834-46, December.
- Topel, Robert H, 1984. "Experience Rating of Unemployment Insurance and the Incidence of Unemployment," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(1), pages 61-90, April.
- Tuulia Hakola, 2000. "Navigating through the Finnish Pension System," Discussion Papers 224, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:resrep:89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.