Navigating through the Finnish Pension System
The paper constructs a competing risks duration model, explaining the probability of retirement due to old-age, ill health or long-term unemployment. It also attempts to measure the degree of substitution between the various retirement channels, among other things, by using data on pension application rejections. The effect of the economic incentives was tested in a number of alternative specifications. In addition to simple replacement ratio, life-cycle incentives were calculated for each exit channel separately. Both the grace period compensations (unemployment benefits and sick allowances) and the actual pension benefits were considered. The paper concludes that the baseline hazards as well as the effects of a number of explanatory variables differ signficantly between the distinct retirement channels. It also finds some evidence on the channel substitutability between different retirement channels.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Regina Riphahn, 1997. "Disability retirement and unemployment - substitute pathways for labour force exit? An empirical test for the case of Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(5), pages 551-561.
- Dahl, Svenn-Åge & Nilsen, Øivind Anti & Vaage, Kjell, 1999.
"Work or Retirement? Exit Routes for Norwegian Elderly,"
IZA Discussion Papers
32, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Svenn-Age Dahl & Oivind Anti Nilsen & Kjell Vaage, 2000. "Work or retirement? Exit routes for Norwegian elderly," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1865-1876.
- Dahl, S.-A., Nilsen, O.A. & Vaage, K., 2000. "Work or Retirement? Exit Routes for Norwegian Elderly," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 213, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- McCall, Brian P, 1996.
"Unemployment Insurance Rules, Joblessness, and Part-Time Work,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 647-82, May.
- McCall, B.P., 1993. "Unemployment Insurance Rules, Joblessness, and Part-Time Work," Papers 93-07, Minnesota - Industrial Relations Center.
- Stepan Jurajda & Frederick J. Tannery, 2001.
"Unemployment Durations and Extended Unemployment Benefits in Local Labor Markets,"
Labor and Demography
- Stepan Jurajda & Frederick J. Tannery, 2003. "Unemployment durations and extended unemployment benefits in local labor markets," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(2), pages 324-348, January.
- Å tÄ›pÃ¡n Jurajda & Frederick J. Tannery, 2003. "Unemployment Durations and Extended Unemployment Benefits in Local Labor Markets," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(2), pages 324-348, January.
- Tomi Kyyrä, 1999. "Post-Unemployment Wages and Economic Incentives to Exit from Unemployment," Research Reports 56, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Heckman, James J. & Singer, Burton, 1984. "Econometric duration analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 63-132.
- Florens, J.-P. & Fougère, D. & Mouchart, M., .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1213, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jensen, P. & Nielsen, M.S. & Rosholm, M., 1999. "The Effects of Benefits, Incentives, and Sanctions on Youth Employment," Papers 99-05, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Roope Uusitalo, 1999.
205, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.