A link based network route choice model with unrestricted choice set
This paper considers the path choice problem, formulating and discussing an econometric random utility model for the choice of path in a network with no restriction on the choice set. Starting from a dynamic specification of link choices we show that it is equivalent to a static model of the multinomial logit form but with infinitely many alternatives. The model can be consistently estimated and used for prediction in a computationally efficient way. Similarly to the path size logit model, we propose an attribute called link size that corrects utilities of overlapping paths but that is link additive. The model is applied to data recording path choices in a network with more than 3,000 nodes and 7,000 links.
|Date of creation:||16 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Full bibliographic details: Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Vol. 56, Oct. 2013, pp 70–80 DOI information: 10.1016/j.trb.2013.07.012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centrum för Transportstudier (CTS), Teknikringen 10, 100 44 Stockholm, Sweden|
Web page: http://www.cts.kth.se/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro Mira & Victor Aguirregabiria, 2007.
"Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models: A Survey,"
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Mira, Pedro, 2010. "Dynamic discrete choice structural models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 38-67, May.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro mira, 2007. "Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models: A Survey," Working Papers tecipa-297, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Frejinger, E. & Bierlaire, M. & Ben-Akiva, M., 2009. "Sampling of alternatives for route choice modeling," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(10), pages 984-994, December.
- Mogens Fosgerau, 2004.
"Investigating the distribution of the value of travel time savings,"
- Fosgerau, Mogens, 2006. "Investigating the distribution of the value of travel time savings," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 688-707, September.
- Mogens Fosgerau, 2004. "Investigating the distribution of the value of travel time savings," Urban/Regional 0410005, EconWPA, revised 25 Nov 2004.
- Melo, Emerson, 2012. "A representative consumer theorem for discrete choice models in networked markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 862-865.
- Flötteröd, Gunnar & Bierlaire, Michel, 2013. "Metropolis–Hastings sampling of paths," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 53-66.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2002.
"Swapping the Nested Fixed Point Algorithm: A Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1519-1543, July.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 1999. "Swapping the Nested Fixed-Point Algorithm: a Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 332, Society for Computational Economics.
- Guevara, C. Angelo & Ben-Akiva, Moshe E., 2013. "Sampling of alternatives in Multivariate Extreme Value (MEV) models," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 31-52.
- Akamatsu, Takashi, 1996. "Cyclic flows, Markov process and stochastic traffic assignment," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 369-386, October.
- David A. Hensher, 2001. "Measurement of the Valuation of Travel Time Savings," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 71-98, January.
- Mogens Fosgerau & Daniel L. McFadden & Michel Bierlaire, 2012.
"Choice Probability Generating Functions,"
NBER Working Papers
17970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frejinger, E. & Bierlaire, M., 2007. "Capturing correlation with subnetworks in route choice models," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 363-378, March.
- DeSerpa, A C, 1971. "A Theory of the Economics of Time," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(324), pages 828-46, December.
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ctswps:2013_010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mats Berggren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.