A representative consumer theorem for discrete choice models in networked markets
We provide an alternative way to model sequential decision processes, which is consistent with the random utility maximization hypothesis and the existence of a representative agent. Our result is stated on terms of a direct utility representation, and it does not depend on parametric assumptions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"The Economics of Networks,"
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996. "The economics of networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 673-699, October.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997. "The Economics of Networks," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Anderson, Simon Peter & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1988.
"A Representative Consumer Theory of the Logit Model,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(3), pages 461-66, August.
- ANDERSON, Simon & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "A representative consumer theory of the logit model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -805, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- ANDERSON, S. & de PALMA, A. & THISSE, J.-F., 1986. "A representative consumer theory of the logit model," CORE Discussion Papers 1986043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ruud H. Koning & Geert Ridder, 2003.
"Discrete choice and stochastic utility maximization,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 1-27, 06.
- Ruud H Koning & Geert Ridder, 1999. "Discrete Choice and Stochastic Utility Maximization," Economics Working Paper Archive 413, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Maria Jos� Gil-Molt� & Arne Risa Hole, 2003.
"Tests for the consistency of three-level nested logit models with utility maximization,"
Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics
200313, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Gil-Molto, Maria Jose & Hole, Arne Risa, 2004. "Tests for the consistency of three-level nested logit models with utility maximization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 133-137, October.
- María José Gil-Moltó & Arne Risa Hole, 2003. "Tests for the consistency of three-level nested logit models with utility maximization," Econometrics 0312001, EconWPA, revised 08 Jan 2004.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Kling, Catherine L., 1996.
"Testing the consistency of nested logit models with utility maximization,"
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 33-39, January.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Kling, Catherine L., 1996. "Testing the Consistency of Nested Logit Models with Utility Maximization," Staff General Research Papers 1500, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Verboven, Frank, 1996. "The nested logit model and representative consumer theory," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 57-63, January.
- Daly, Andrew & Bierlaire, Michel, 2006. "A general and operational representation of Generalised Extreme Value models," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 285-305, May.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel, 1990. "On the compatibility of nested logit models with utility maximization," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 373-388, March.
- Simon P. Anderson & Andr� Palma, 2006. "MARKET PERFORMANCE WITH MULTIPRODUCT FIRMS -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 95-124, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:117:y:2012:i:3:p:862-865. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.