Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies
During the last twenty years, microsimulation models have been increasingly applied in qualitative and quantitative analysis of public policies. This paper provides a discussion on microsimulation techniques and their theoretical background as a tool for the analysis of public policies with particular attention to redistribution and social policies. Basic principles in using microsimulation models and interpreting their results are analyzed, with particular emphasis on tax incidence, redistribution and poverty analysis. Social welfare analysis permitted by microsimulation techniques is also discussed. Finally, the paper points to limits of present approaches and directions for future research.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00590863|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Bourguignon & Maurizio Bussolo & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2008. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Policies on Poverty and Income Distribution : Macro-Micro Evaluation Techniques and Tools," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6586.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul & Wodon, Quentin, 2003. "Poverty-Efficient Transfer Programs: The Role of Targeting and Allocation Rules," Cahiers de recherche 0305, CIRPEE.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P. & Hugounenq, R., 1992. "Exploring the Distribution and Incentive Effects of Tax Harmonization," DELTA Working Papers 92-06, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki & Joram Mayshar, 1991.
"The Optimal Two-Bracket Linear Income Tax,"
NBER Working Papers
3847, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- François Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Phillippe Leite, 2003.
"Conditional cash transfers, schoolingand child labor: micro-simulating bolsa escola,"
Textos para discussão
477, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- François Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Phillippe G. Leite, 2003. "Conditional Cash Transfers, Schooling and Child Labor : Micro-Simulating Bolsa Escola," DELTA Working Papers 2003-07, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1995. "Modelling the take-up of state support," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 391-415, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00590863. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.