Economy-wide impacts of technological change in the agro-food production and processing sectors in Sub- Saharan Africa
Processing of meat and crops accounts for a large share of manufacturing in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The paper assesses empirically the impact of hypothesized productivity change in agro-food processing on growth, trade, employment, and input and output prices in SSA, using a 13 commodity, 7 region version of the Global Trade Analysis Project (GTAP) applied general equilibrium model with a 1995 database. Results are compared to impacts of factor-neutral and biased technical change in primary agricultural production grains, non-grain crops, and livestock overall and with respect to the agro-food sector itself. A given percentage increase in total factor productivity in primary agricultural production is shown by every criterion to have much greater favorable impacts than the same increase in any form of technical change in processing, even when consideration is given only to the welfare of people in the agro-food processing sector itself. Technological change in the non-grain high value agricultural sectors such as horticulture and livestock are second-best, but still powerful promoters of increased welfare. However, the paper is not able to assess the costs or likelihood of securing different kinds of technical change, and therefore comparisons are limited to the benefit side.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John A.L. Cranfield & Thomas W. Hertel & James S. Eales & Paul V. Preckel, 1998.
"Changes in the Structure of Global Food Demand,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1042-1050.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Hopkins, Jane & Kelly , Valerie & Hazell, P. B. R. & McKenna, Anna A. & Gruhn, Peter & Hojjati, Behjat & Sil, Jayashree & Courbois, Claude, 1998. "Agricultural growth linkages in Sub-Saharan Africa:," Research reports 107, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- ., 1998. "Growth," Chapters, in: The Elgar Companion to Classical Economics, chapter 67 Edward Elgar.
- Hertel, Thomas, . "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books 7685, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Delgado, Christopher L., 1995. "Agricultural diversification and export promotion in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 225-243, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:mtiddp:38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.