Rural Economic Growth Linkages and Small Scale Poultry Production: A Survey of Poultry Producers in KwaZulu-Natal
This study analyses survey data gathered from small and large-scale poultry producers in the rural areas of KwaZulu-Natal, and highlights factors constraining the impact of commercial poultry production on the local economy. It was found that small-scale poultry production has the ability to initiate economic growth by "exporting" its products and can draw under-utilised resources such as labour into production. The impact of the subsequent multiplier effect is generally strongest in the non-tradable, non-agricultural sector. Alleviating constraints for a large number of small enterprises is expected to impact more positively on the rural economy than if a few larger enterprises were encouraged to grow bigger. The descriptive results suggest that small producers face higher transaction costs. Government policies should focus on absorbing some of these transaction costs by improving education, physical infrastructure and technology transfer. Other important interventions include the provision of mentoring and training services for new managers including institution, legal and financial management instruction.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aeasa.org.za/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haggblade, Steven & Hazell, Peter & Brown, James, 1989.
"Farm-nonfarm linkages in rural sub-Saharan Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(8), pages 1173-1201, August.
- Haggblade, Steven & Hazell, Peter B. & Brown, James, 1988. "Farm-nonfarm linkages in rural sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6, The World Bank.
- Knight, SL & Lyne, MC, 2002. "Perceptions Of Farm Worker Equity-Share Schemes In South Africa," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 41(4), December.
- Belete, A. & Igodan, C.O. & M'Marete, C. & van Averbeke, W., 1999. "Analysis Of Rural Household Consumption Expenditure In South Africa: The Case Of Food Plot Holders In Tyefu Irrigation Scheme In The Eastern Cape Province," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 38(2), June.
- Louise Fenwick & Mike Lyne, 1999. "The relative importance of liquidity and other constraints inhibiting the growth of small-scale farming in KwaZulu-Natal," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 141-155.
- Christensen, Garry, 1993. "The limits to informal financial intermediation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 721-731, May.
- Udry, Christopher, 1995. "Risk and Saving in Northern Nigeria," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1287-1300, December.
- Sheryl Hendriks & Michael Lyne, 2003. "Agricultural growth multipliers for two communal areas of KwaZulu-Natal," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 423-444.
- Madikizela, S.P. & Groenewald, Jan A., 1998. "Marketing Preferences And Behaviour Of A Group Of Small-Scale Irrigation Vegetable Farmers In Eastern Cape," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 37(1), March.
- Alwang, Jeffrey & Siegel, Paul B. & Jorgensen, Steen L., 1996. "Seeking guidelines for poverty reduction in rural Zambia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(11), pages 1711-1723, November.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Hopkins, Jane & Kelly , Valerie & Hazell, P. B. R. & McKenna, Anna A. & Gruhn, Peter & Hojjati, Behjat & Sil, Jayashree & Courbois, Claude, 1998. "Agricultural growth linkages in Sub-Saharan Africa:," Research reports 107, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Staal, Steven & Delgado, Christopher & Nicholson, Charles, 1997. "Smallholder dairying under transactions costs in East Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 779-794, May.
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Roell, Ailsa, 1983. "Rural growth linkages: household expenditure patterns in Malaysia and Nigeria," Research reports 41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- ., 1998. "Growth," Chapters, in: The Elgar Companion to Classical Economics, chapter 67 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Moraka Makhura & Frank Goode & Gerhard Coetzee, 1998. "A cluster analysis of commercialisation of farmers in developing rural areas of South Africa," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 429-448.
- Dahlman, Carl J, 1979. "The Problem of Externality," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 141-162, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aeassa:19095. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.