Improving farm-to-market linkages through contract farming: A case study of smallholder dairying in India
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Birthal, Pratap S. & Joshi, P. K. & Gulati, Ashok, 2005. "Vertical coordination in high-value commodities," MTID discussion papers 85, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Steinfeld, Henning & Ehui, Simeon K. & Courbois, Claude, 1999. "Livestock to 2020: the next food revolution," 2020 vision briefs 61, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Narrod, Clare A. & Tiongco, Marites M. & Barros, Geraldo Sant'Ana de Camargo & Catelo, Maria Angeles & Costales, Achilles & Mehta, Rajesh & Naranong, Viroj & Poapongsakorn, N, 2008. "Determinants and implications of the growing scale of livestock farms in four fast-growing developing countries:," Research reports 157, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Joshi, P.K. & Gulati, Ashok & Birthal, Pratap S. & Tewari, Laxmi, 2003. "Agriculture diversification in South Asia," MSSD discussion papers 57, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bharat Ramaswami & Pratap Singh Birthal & P.K. Joshi, 2005.
"Efficiency and distribution in contract farming:The case of Indian poultry growers,"
Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers
05-01, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Ramaswami, Bharat & Birthal, Pratap Singh & Joshi, P.K., 2006. "Efficiency and distribution in contract farming: the case of Indian poultry growers," MTID discussion papers 91, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Key, Nigel & Runsten, David, 1999. "Contract Farming, Smallholders, and Rural Development in Latin America: The Organization of Agroprocessing Firms and the Scale of Outgrower Production," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 381-401, February.
- Patrick, Ian, 2004. "Contract farming in Indonesia: Smallholders and agribusiness working together," Technical Reports 113792, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research.
- Singh, Sukhpal, 2002. "Contracting Out Solutions: Political Economy of Contract Farming in the Indian Punjab," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1621-1638, September.
- Davis, Junior, 2006. "How can the poor benefit from the growing markets for high value agricultural products?," MPRA Paper 26048, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Holloway, Garth & Nicholson, Charles & Delgado, Chris & Staal, Steve & Ehui, Simeon, 2000. "Agroindustrialization through institutional innovation: Transaction costs, cooperatives and milk-market development in the east-African highlands," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 279-288, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kydd, Jonathon, 2015. "Ex-post evaluation study of IFPRIâ€™s research on high-value agriculture, 1994â€“2010," Impact assessments 39, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Henningsen, Arne & Mpeta, Daniel F. & Adem, Anwar S. & Kuzilwa, Joseph A. & Czekaj, Tomasz G., 2015. "The Effects of Contract Farming on Efficiency and Productivity of Small-Scare Sunflower Farmers in Tanzania," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212478, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- S. Mahendra Dev, 2012. "Small Farmers in India: Challenges and Opportunities," Working Papers id:5037, eSocialSciences.
- Nicholas Minot & Loraine Ronchi, 2014. "Contract Farming," World Bank Other Operational Studies 24249, The World Bank.
- Varadan, R. Jayakumara & Kumar, Pramod, 2012. "Impact of Crop Insurance on Rice Farming in Tamil Nadu," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 25(2).
- Minot, Nicholas & Sawyer, Bradley, 2016. "Contract farming in developing countries: Theory, practice, and policy implications," IFPRI book chapters,in: Innovation for inclusive value-chain development: Successes and challenges, chapter 4, pages 127-158 International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Henningsen, Arne & Mpeta, Daniel F. & Adem, Anwar S. & Kuzilwa, Joseph A. & Czekaj, Tomasz G., 2015. "A Meta-Frontier Approach for Causal Inference in Productivity Analysis: The Effect of Contract Farming on Sunflower Productivity in Tanzania," 2015 AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California 206200, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association;Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Iro Ibrahim Kutawa, 2016. "Empirical evidence on contract farming in northern Nigeria: Case study of tomato production," Asian Journal of Agriculture and rural Development, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 6(12), pages 240-253, December.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Hidrobo, Melissa & Le Port, AgnÃ¨s & Rawat, Rahul, 2017. "Nutrition incentives in dairy contract farming in northern Senegal," IFPRI discussion papers 1629, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Birthal, Pratap S. & Chand, Ramesh & Joshi, Pramod Kumar & Saxena, Raka & Rajkhowa, Pallavi & Khan, Md. Tajuddin & Khan, Mohd Arshad & Chaudhary, Khyali R., 2016. "Formal versus informal: Efficiency, inclusiveness, and financing of dairy value chains in India:," IFPRI discussion papers 1513, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Charles Kunaka, 2011. "Logistics in Lagging Regions : Overcoming Local Barriers to Global Connectivity," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2543, July.
- S. Mahendra Dev, 2012. "Small farmers in India: Challenges and opportunities," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2012-014, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
More about this item
KeywordsContract farming; smallholder dairying in India; marketing and transaction costs; milk supply chain; treatment effects model; mass balance approach;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2008-11-04 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2008-11-04 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MKT-2008-11-04 (Marketing)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:814. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ifprius.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.