New Organisational and Institutional Vehicles for Managing Innovation in South Asia: Opportunities for Using Research for Technical Change and Social Gain
This paper sets out to explore the nature of new organisational and institutional vehicles for managing innovation in order to put research into use for social gain. It has reviewed four classes of such vehicles found in South Asia. The first two - contract farming and organised retailing - represent what is becoming commonly-accepted in policy circles: namely that the private corporate sector can play a more prominent role in agricultural development, particularly in arrangements that combine providing access to markets in combination with access to technology needed to service those markets. The second two classes of vehicles -hybrid enterprises and social venture capital - represent a new, albeit fluid in definition, class of initiatives and organisations that combine features referred to as bottom-of-the pyramid and below-the-radar innovation. For each of these classes of innovation management vehicles this review has mapped the diversity of emerging examples and discussed their relevance for putting research into use for social gain. The paper concludes by saying that it is these new and as yet poorly-understood modes of innovation that have the greatest potential to effect change, although developing ways of supporting them is going to require some creative public policy instruments.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaiswal, A. K., . "Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: An Alternative Perspective," IIMA Working Papers WP2007-07-13, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Mangala, K.P. & Chengappa, P.G., 2008. "A novel agribusiness model for backward linkages with farmers: a case of food retail chain," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 21(2008).
- Raghav Gaiha, & Ganesh Thapa, 2007. "Supermarkets, Smallholders and Livelihoods Prospects in Selected Asian Countries," ASARC Working Papers 2007-12, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Tripathi, R.S. & Singh, Ram & Singh, Sube, 2005. "Contract Farming in Potato Production: An Alternative for Managing Risk and Uncertainty," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 18(2005).
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- Birthal, Pratap S. & Joshi, P. K. & Gulati, Ashok, 2005. "Vertical coordination in high-value commodities," MTID discussion papers 85, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nagaraj, N. & Chandrakanth, Mysore G. & Chengappa, P.G. & Roopa, H.S. & Chandakavate, Pramod M., 2008. "Contract farming and its implications for input-supply, linkages between markets and farmers in Karnataka," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 21(2008).
- Thompson, Susan J. & Tadlock Cowan, J., 2000. "Globalizing Agro-Food Systems in Asia: Introduction," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 401-407, March.
- Thomas Reardon & Peter Timmer & Julio Berdegue, 2004.
"The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Developing Countries: Induced Organizational, Institutional, and Technological Change in Agrifood Systems,"
The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 1(2), pages 168-183.
- Reardon, Thomas & Timmer, C. Peter & Berdegue, Julio A., 2004. "The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Developing Countries: Induced Organizational, Institutional, and Technological Change in Agrifood Systems," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 1(2).
- Arora, Saurabh & Romijn, Henny, 2009. "Innovation for the base of the pyramid: Critical perspectives from development studies on heterogeneity and participation," MERIT Working Papers 036, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Chataway, Joanna & Clark, Norman & Hanlin, Rebecca & Kale, Dinar & Muraguri, Lois & Papaioannou, Theo & Robbins, Peter & Wamae, Watu, 2010. "Below the Radar: What does Innovation in Emerging Economies have to offer other Low Income Economies?," MERIT Working Papers 020, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Laurens Klerkx & Andy Hall & Cees Leeuwis, 2009.
"Strengthening agricultural innovation capacity: are innovation brokers the answer?,"
International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(5/6), pages 409-438.
- Klerkx, Laurens & Hall, Andy & Leeuwis, Cees, 2009. "Strengthening Agricultural Innovation Capacity: Are Innovation Brokers the Answer?," MERIT Working Papers 019, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Key, Nigel & Runsten, David, 1999. "Contract Farming, Smallholders, and Rural Development in Latin America: The Organization of Agroprocessing Firms and the Scale of Outgrower Production," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 381-401, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2010054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.