Strengthening agricultural innovation capacity: are innovation brokers the answer?
Taking the case of Dutch agriculture as an example, this paper examines the emergence and role of innovation brokers in stimulating agricultural innovation system interaction and innovation capacity building, and reflects upon their potential role in developing and emerging countries' agriculture and how their emergence and functioning can be fostered. It concludes that innovation brokerage is likely to be relevant in developing countries, that public or donor investment may be needed to overcome inherent tensions regarding the legitimacy and funding of such players in the innovation system and that stimulating the emergence of innovation brokers requires a policy that supports institutional learning and experimentation to ensure that the brokers become locally embedded.
Volume (Year): 8 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5/6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=1|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Hartwich & Jaime Tola, 2007. "Publicâ€“private partnerships for agricultural innovation: concepts and experiences from 124 cases in Latin America," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(2), pages 240-255.
- van Baalen, Peter & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline & van Heck, Eric, 2005.
"Knowledge Sharing in an Emerging Network of Practice:: The Role of a Knowledge Portal,"
European Management Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 300-314, June.
- van Baalen, P.J. & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J.M. & van Heck, H.W.G.M., 2005. "Knowledge sharing in an Emerging Network of Practice: The Role of a Knowledge Portal," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-003-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Szogs, Astrid, 2008. "The Role of mediator organisations in the making of innovation systems in least developed countries. Evidence from Tanzania," Papers in Innovation Studies 2008/19, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Hall, Andy, 2006. "Public private sector partnerships in an agricultural system of innovation: concepts and challenges," MERIT Working Papers 002, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Sapsed, Jonathan & Grantham, Andrew & DeFillippi, Robert, 2007. "A bridge over troubled waters: Bridging organisations and entrepreneurial opportunities in emerging sectors," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1314-1334, November.
- Howells, Jeremy, 2006. "Intermediation and the role of intermediaries in innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 715-728, June.
- Biggs, Stephen & Smith, Grant, 1998. "Beyond methodologies: Coalition-building for participatory technology development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 239-248, February.
- Davis, Kristin & Ekboir, Javier & Mekasha, Wendmsyamregne & Ochieng, Cosmas M.O. & Spielman, David J. & Zerfu, Elias, 2007. "Strengthening agricultural education and training in Sub-Saharan Africa from an innovation systems perspective: Case studies of Ethiopia and Mozambique," IFPRI discussion papers 736, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rufin Baghana & Pierre Mohnen, 2009.
"Effectiveness of R&D tax incentives in small and large enterprises in Québec,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 91-107, June.
- Baghana, Rufin & Mohnen, Pierre, 2009. "Effectiveness of R&D Tax Incentives in Small and Large Enterprises in Quebec," MERIT Working Papers 001, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Rufin Baghana & Pierre Mohnen, 2009. "Effectiveness of R&D Tax Incentives in Small and Large Enterprises in Québec," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-01, CIRANO.
- Andy Hall, 2005. "Capacity development for agricultural biotechnology in developing countries: an innovation systems view of what it is and how to develop it," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 611-630.
- Kolodny, Harvey & Stymne, Bengt & Shani, Rami & Figuera, Juan Ramon & Lillrank, Paul, 2001. "Design and policy choices for technology extension organizations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 201-225, February.
- Spielman, David J. & Hartwich, Frank & von Grebmer, Klaus, 2007. "Public–private partnerships in international agricultural research:," Research briefs 9, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Abramovay, Ricardo & Magalhães, Reginaldo & Schröder, Mônica, 2008. "Social Movements Beyond the Iron Cage: Weak Ties in Territorial Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2906-2920, December.
- Klerkx, Laurens & Leeuwis, Cees, 2008. "Matching demand and supply in the agricultural knowledge infrastructure: Experiences with innovation intermediaries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 260-276, June.
- Spielman,David J. & Hartwich,Frank & von Grebmer, Klaus, 2007. "Sharing science, building bridges, and enhancing impact: Public-Private Partnerships in the CGIAR," IFPRI discussion papers 708, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hall, Andrew & Rasheed Sulaiman, V. & Clark, Norman & Yoganand, B., 2003. "From measuring impact to learning institutional lessons: an innovation systems perspective on improving the management of international agricultural research," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 213-241, November.
- Hall, Andy & Clark, Norman & Naik, Guru, 2007. "Technology Supply Chain or Innovation Capacity?: Contrasting Experiences of Promoting Small Scale Irrigation Technology in South Asia," MERIT Working Papers 014, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- David Spielman & Klaus Grebmer, 2006. "Public–Private Partnerships in International Agricultural Research: An Analysis of Constraints," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 291-300, 03.
- Tripp, Robert & Wijeratne, Mahinda & Piyadasa, V. Hiroshini, 2005. "What should we expect from farmer field schools? A Sri Lanka case study," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1705-1720, October.
- Lutz Laschewski & Jeremy Phillipson & Matthew Gorton, 2002. "The facilitation and formalisation of small business networks: evidence from the North East of England," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(3), pages 375-391, June.
- Clark, Norman & Hall, Andy & Sulaiman, Rasheed & Naik, Guru, 2003. "Research as Capacity Building: The Case of an NGO Facilitated Post-Harvest Innovation System for the Himalayan Hills," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 1845-1863, November.
- Bessant, John & Rush, Howard, 1995. "Building bridges for innovation: the role of consultants in technology transfer," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 97-114, January.
- Spielman, David J., 2007. "Pro-poor agricultural biotechnology: Can the international research system deliver the goods?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 189-204, April.
- Alexandre Vera-Cruz & Gabriela Dutrenit & Griselda Martinez & Arturo Torres-Vargas & Javier Ekboir, 2008. "Virtues and limits of competitive funds to finance research and innovation: The case of Mexican agriculture," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(7), pages 501-513, August.
- Arne Isaksen & Svend Otto Rem�e, 2001. "New Approaches to Innovation Policy: Some Norwegian Examples," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 285-302, April.
- Klerkx, Laurens & Leeuwis, Cees, 2008. "Institutionalizing end-user demand steering in agricultural R&D: Farmer levy funding of R&D in The Netherlands," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 460-472, April.
- Rosenfeld, Stuart A., 1996. "Does cooperation enhance competitiveness? Assessing the impacts of inter-firm collaboration," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 247-263, March.
- Morriss, Stuart & Massey, Claire & Flett, Ross & Alpass, Fiona & Sligo, Frank, 2006. "Mediating technological learning in agricultural innovation systems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 26-46, July.
- Spielman, David J. & Ekboir, Javier & Davis, Kristin & Ochieng, Cosmas M.O., 2008. "An innovation systems perspective on strengthening agricultural education and training in sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 1-9, July.
- Laurens Klerkx & Cees Leeuwis, 2008. "Delegation of authority in research funding to networks: Experiences with a multiple goal boundary organization," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 183-196, April.
- Hall, Andy, 2008. "Embedding Research in Society: Development Assistance Options for Supporting Agricultural Innovation in a Global Knowledge Economy," MERIT Working Papers 011, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Stephen Biggs, 2007. "Building on the positive: an actor innovation systems approach to finding and promoting pro poor natural resources institutional and technical innovations," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(2), pages 144-164.
- Norman Clark, 2002. "Innovation Systems, Institutional Change And The New Knowledge Market: Implications For Third World Agricultural Development," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4-5), pages 353-368.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijarge:v:8:y:2009:i:5/6:p:409-438. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.