Rural demography, public services, and land rights in Africa: A village-level analysis in Burkina Faso
This paper uses historical census data from Burkina Faso to characterize local demographic pressures associated with internal migration into river valleys after onchocerciasis eradication, combined with a new survey of village elders to document change over time and differences across villages in local public goods provision, market institutions, and land use rights. We hypothesize that higher local population densities are associated with more public goods and with a transition from open-access to regulated land use. Controlling for province or village fixed effects, we find that villagesâ€™ variance in population associated with proximity to rivers is closely correlated with higher levels of infrastructure, markets, and individual land rights, as opposed to familial or communal rights. Responding to population growth with both improved public services and private property rights is consistent with both scale effects in public good provision and changes in the scarcity of land.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2033 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olmstead, Alan L & Rhode, Paul, 1993. "Induced Innovation in American Agriculture: A Reconsideration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(1), pages 100-118, February.
- Kazianga, Harounan & Masters, William A., 2002.
"Investing in soils: field bunds and microcatchments in Burkina Faso,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 571-591, July.
- Kazianga, Harounan & Masters, William A., 2001. "Investing In Soils: Field Bunds And Microcatchments In Burkina Faso," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20483, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- McMillan, Margaret S. & Masters, William A., 2000.
"An African Growth Trap: Production Technology And The Time-Consistency Of Agricultural Taxation, R&D And Investment,"
11839, Agecon Search.
- Margaret S. McMillan & William A. Masters, 2003. "An African Growth Trap: Production Technology and the Time-Consistency of Agricultural Taxation, R&D and Investment," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 179-191, 05.
- Bloom, David E & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1998.
"Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 419-55, September.
- David E. Bloom & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1997. "Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia," NBER Working Papers 6268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harounan Kazianga & William A. Masters, 2006. "Property rights, production technology, and deforestation: cocoa in Cameroon," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 19-26, 07.
- Rémi Jedwab & Alexandre Moradi, 2011. "Transportation Infrastructure and Development in Ghana," PSE Working Papers halshs-00607207, HAL.
- Masters, William A & McMillan, Margaret S, 2001.
"Climate and Scale in Economic Growth,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 167-86, September.
- William A Masters and Margaret S McMillan, 2000. "Climate and Scale in Economic Growth," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2000-13, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Margaret S. McMillan & William A. Masters, 2000. "Climate and scale in economic growth," CSAE Working Paper Series 2000-13, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Masters, William A. & McMillan, Margaret S., 2001. "Climate And Scale In Economic Growth," Miscellaneous Papers 11845, Agecon Search.
- William A. Masters & Margaret S. McMillan, 2000. "Climate and Scale In Economic Growth," CID Working Papers 48, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Grimm, Michael & Klasen, Stephan, 2007.
"Geography vs. Institutions at the Village Level,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007
9, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Michael Grimm & Stephan Klasen, 2008. "Geography vs. Institutions at the Village Level," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 169, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Grimm, M. & Klasen, S., 2007. "Geography vs. Institutions at the Village Level," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18745, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Grimm, Michael & Klasen, Stephan, 2008. "Geography vs. Institutions at the Village Level," IZA Discussion Papers 3391, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Grimm & Stephan Klasen, 2008. "Geography vs. Institutions at the Village Level," CESifo Working Paper Series 2259, CESifo Group Munich.
- Grimm, Michael & Klasen, Stephan, 2008. "Geography vs. institutions at the village level," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 70, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Cutler, David M. & Singhal, Monica & Vogl, Tom & Fung, Winnie & Kremer, Michael R., 2010.
"Early-Life Malaria Exposure and Adult Outcomes: Evidence from Malaria Eradication in India,"
5344529, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- David Cutler & Winnie Fung & Michael Kremer & Monica Singhal & Tom Vogl, 2010. "Early-Life Malaria Exposure and Adult Outcomes: Evidence from Malaria Eradication in India," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 72-94, April.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2006.
"Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
12269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2007. "Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(6), pages 925-985, December.
- Chambers, Robert, 1994. "The origins and practice of participatory rural appraisal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 953-969, July.
- Raghabendra Chattopadhyay & Esther Duflo, 2004.
"Women as Policy Makers: Evidence from a Randomized Policy Experiment in India,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1409-1443, 09.
- Esther Duflo & Raghabendra Chattopadhyay, 2004. "Women as policy makers: Evidence from a randomized policy experiment in india," Framed Field Experiments 00224, The Field Experiments Website.
- Imbens, Guido W & Angrist, Joshua D, 1994.
"Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 467-75, March.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Guido W. Imbens, 1995. "Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects," NBER Technical Working Papers 0118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Besley, Timothy, 1995. "Property Rights and Investment Incentives: Theory and Evidence from Ghana," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 903-37, October.
- Hoyt Bleakley, 2007. "Disease and Development: Evidence from Hookworm Eradication in the American South," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 122(1), pages 73-117.
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2005. "Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance," Scholarly Articles 4553005, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:1164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.