Trade-offs between environmental regulation and market competition: airlines, emission trading systems and entry deterrence
Emission trading systems (ETS) are being applied worldwide and in different economic sectors as an environmental regulatory tool that induces reductions of CO2 emissions. In Europe such a system is in place since 2005 for energy intensive installations and, since 1st January 2012, for airlines with flights arriving and departing from Community airports. The efficiency of the system should consider not only how it allows reaching an environmental goal, but also it should take into account its implications for market competition. In this work we develop a theoretical model that analyses the European ETS’s main features as devised for airlines, focusing on its effects on potential competition and entry deterrence. Contrary to other economic activities under ETS, potential competition is usual in most airline markets. Our results indicate that the share of capped allowances allocated initially for free to air operators may be a key element in deterring or allowing entry into the market. This result may be in collision with the general European principle of promoting competition and may represent a step backwards in the construction of a single European air transport market.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Leonard F.S. & Wang, Jean, 2009. "Environmental taxes in a differentiated mixed duopoly," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 389-396, December.
- Gerhard Clemenz, 2010. "Eco-Labeling and Horizontal Product Differentiation," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(4), pages 481-497, April.
- Anger, Annela & Köhler, Jonathan, 2010. "Including aviation emissions in the EU ETS: Much ado about nothing? A review," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 38-46, January.
- Dijkstra, Bouwe R. & Rübbelke, Dirk T.G., 2013.
"Group rewards and individual sanctions in environmental policy,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 38-59.
- Bouwe R. Dijkstra & Dirk T.G. Rübbelke, "undated". "Group rewards and individual sanctions in environmental policy," Discussion Papers 07/01, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Bouwe R. Dijkstra & Dirk T.G. Rübbelke, 2007. "Group Rewards and Individual Sanctions in Environmental Policy," Working Papers 2007.44, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2010. "Congestion pricing, slot sales and slot trading in aviation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 320-329, March.
- Erik T. Verhoef, 2008. "Congestion Pricing, Slot Sales and Slot Trading in Aviation," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-030/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hoel, Michael & Karp, Larry, 2001. "Taxes and quotas for a stock pollutant with multiplicative uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 91-114, October.
- Michael Hoel & Larry Karp, 1999. "Taxes and Quotas for a Stock Pollutant with Multiplicative Uncertainty," Working Papers 1999.15, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Hoel, Michael & Karp, Larry, 2000. "Taxes and Quotas for a Stock Pollutant with Multiplicative Uncertainty," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt9v86p5s7, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Cramton, Peter & Kerr, Suzi, 2002. "Tradeable carbon permit auctions: How and why to auction not grandfather," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 333-345, March.
- Kerr, Suzi & Cramton, Peter, 1998. "Tradable Carbon Permit Auctions: How and Why to Auction Not Grandfather," Discussion Papers dp-98-34, Resources For the Future.
- Peter Cramton & Suzi Kerr, 2002. "Tradeable Carbon Permit Auctions: How and Why to Auction Not Grandfather," Papers of Peter Cramton 02eptc, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 06 May 2002.
- Cramton, Peter & Kerr, Suzi, 1998. "Tradeable Carbon Permit Auctions: How and Why to Auction, Not Grandfather," Working Papers 197846, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Anger, Annela, 2010. "Including aviation in the European emissions trading scheme: Impacts on the industry, CO2 emissions and macroeconomic activity in the EU," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 100-105.
- Cameron Hepburn & Michael Grubb & Karsten Neuhoff & Felix Matthes & Maximilien Tse, 2006. "Auctioning of EU ETS phase II allowances: how and why?," Climate Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 137-160, January.
- Hepburn, C. & Grubb, M. & Neuhoff, K. & Matthes , F. & Tse, M., 2006. "Auctioning of EU ETS Phase II allowances: how and why?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0644, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Scheelhaase, Janina D., 2010. "Local emission charges â€“ A new economic instrument at German airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 94-99.
- Yates, Andrew J. & Cronshaw, Mark B., 2001. "Pollution Permit Markets with Intertemporal Trading and Asymmetric Information," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 104-118, July.
- Dritan Osmani & Richard Tol, 2009. "Toward Farsightedly Stable International Environmental Agreements," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 11(3), pages 455-492, 06.
- Dritan Osmani & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "Toward Farsightedly Stable International Environmental Agreements," Working Papers FNU-140, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Jul 2007.
- Carolos Chavez & John Stanlund, 2003. "Enforcing Transferable Permit Systems in the Presence of Market Power," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(1), pages 65-78, May.
- Carlos Chavez & John K. Stranlund, 2000. "Enforcing Transferable Permit Systems in the Presence of Market Power," Working Papers 04-2000, Departamento de Economía, Universidad de Concepción.
- Anthony Heyes, 2009. "Is environmental regulation bad for competition? A survey," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 1-28, August.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1980. "The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(357), pages 95-106, March.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979. "The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Niels Nannerup, 1998. "Strategic Environmental Policy Under Incomplete Information," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(1), pages 61-78, January.
- Lambert Schoonbeek & Frans Vries, 2009. "Environmental taxes and industry monopolization," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 94-106, August.
- de, Vries Frans & Schoonbeek, Lambert, 2008. "Environmental Taxes and Industry Monopolization," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2008-19, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Peter Forsyth, 2008. "The Impact of Climate Change Policy on Competition in the Air Transport Industry," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2008/18, OECD Publishing.
- Basso, Leonardo J., 2008. "Airport deregulation: Effects on pricing and capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 1015-1031, July.
- Socorro, M. Pilar & Betancor, Ofelia, 2010. "The welfare effects of the allocation of airlines to different terminals," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 236-248, March.
- Scheelhaase, Janina D. & Grimme, Wolfgang G., 2007. "Emissions trading for international aviationâ€”an estimation of the economic impact on selected European airlines," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 253-263.
- James A. Brander & Anming Zhang, 1990. "Market Conduct in the Airline Industry: An Empirical Investigation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(4), pages 567-583, Winter.
- Edward Caltrhop & Stef Proost, 2002. "Environmental Pricing in Transport," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0208, KU Leuven, Department of Economics - Research Group Energy, Transport and Environment. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaddt:2012-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.