Efficient Tests of the Seasonal Unit Root Hypothesis
In this paper we derive, under the assumption of Gaussian errors with known error covariance matrix, asymptotic local power bounds for seasonal unit root tests for both known and unknown deterministic scenarios and for an arbitrary seasonal aspect. We demonstrate that the optimal test of a unit root at a given spectral frequency behaves asymptotically independently of whether unit roots exist at other frequencies or not. We also develop modified versions of the optimal tests which attain the asymptotic Gaussian power bounds under much weaker conditions. We further propose nearefficient regression-based seasonal unit root tests using pseudo-GLS de-trending and show that these have limiting null distributions and asymptotic local power functions of a known form. Monte Carlo experiments indicate that the regression-based tests perform well in finite samples.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burridge, Peter & Taylor, A M Robert, 2001. "On the Properties of Regression-Based Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots in the Presence of Higher-Order Serial Correlation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 374-79, July.
- Smith, R.J. & Taylor, R., 1995.
"Additional Critical Values and Asymptotic Representations for Seasonal Unit Roots Tests,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9529, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Smith, Richard J. & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 1998. "Additional critical values and asymptotic representations for seasonal unit root tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 269-288, August.
- Richard Smith & Robert Taylor, . "Additional Critical Values and Asymptotic Representations for Seasonal Unit Root Tests," Discussion Papers 95/43, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & A.M. Robert Taylor, 2004.
"Efficient Tests of the Seasonal Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2004/29, European University Institute.
- Rodrigues, Paulo M.M. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2007. "Efficient tests of the seasonal unit root hypothesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 548-573, December.
- Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & A.M. Robert Taylor, . "Efficient Tests of the Seasonal Unit Root Hypothesis," Discussion Papers 06/12, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Schmidt, Peter & Phillips, C B Peter, 1992. "LM Tests for a Unit Root in the Presence of Deterministic Trends," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 257-87, August.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1992.
"Seasonal Unit Roots in Aggregate U.S. Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrigues, Paulo M. M. & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 2004. "Alternative estimators and unit root tests for seasonal autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 35-73, May.
- Ghysels, Eric & Lee, Hahn S. & Noh, Jaesum, 1994. "Testing for unit roots in seasonal time series : Some theoretical extensions and a Monte Carlo investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 415-442, June.
- Gregoir, Stephane, 2006. "Efficient tests for the presence of a pair of complex conjugate unit roots in real time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 45-100, January.
- Rodrigues, Paulo M.M., 2001. "Near Seasonal Integration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ghysels,Eric & Osborn,Denise R., 2001.
"The Econometric Analysis of Seasonal Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521565882.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001.
"LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997. "Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Paulo M. M. Rodrigues, 2002. "On LM type tests for seasonal unit roots in quarterly data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 176-195, June.
- Rodrigues, Paulo M.M. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions For Regression-Based Seasonal Unit Root Test Statistics In A Near-Integrated Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 645-670, August.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal Integration And Cointegration,"
0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- J. Breitung & P. H. Franses, 1996.
"On Phillips-Perron Type Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1996,27, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Breitung, J rg & Franses, Philip Hans, 1998. "On Phillips Perron-Type Tests For Seasonal Unit Roots," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 200-221, April.
- Jeganathan, P., 1991. "On the Asymptotic Behavior of Least-Squares Estimators in AR Time Series with Roots Near the Unit Circle," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 269-306, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eui:euiwps:eco2004/29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhoda Lane)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.