Using the HEGY Procedure When Not All Roots Are Present
Empirical studies have shown little evidence to support the presence of all unit roots present in the filter in quarterly seasonal time series. This paper analyses the performance of the Hylleberg, Engle, Granger and Yoo (1990) (HEGY) procedure when the roots under the null are not all present. We exploit the Vector of Quarters representation and cointegration relationship between the quarters when factors 4 (1 L),(1+ L), (1+ L2 ), (1 L2 ) and (1+ L + L2 + L3 ) are a source of nonstationarity in a process in order to obtain the distribution of tests of the HEGY procedure when the underlying processes have a root at the zero, Nyquist frequency, two complex conjugates of frequency / 2 and two combinations of the previous cases. We show both theoretically and through a Monte-Carlo analysis that the t-ratios and and the F-type tests used in the HEGY procedure have the same distribution as under the null of a seasonal random walk when the root(s) is/are present, although this is not the case for the t-ratio tests associated with unit roots at frequency 1 t 2 t / 2 .
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de CiÃ¨ncies EconÃ²miques. Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, Num 1-11 08034 Barcelona. Spain.|
Phone: +34 93 402 43 13cazza
Web page: http://www.ere.ub.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Richard J. & Taylor, A.M. Robert & del Barrio Castro, Tomas, 2009.
"Regression-Based Seasonal Unit Root Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 527-560, April.
- Smith, R.J. & Taylor, A.M.R., 1999. "Regression-Based Seasonal Unit Root Tests," Discussion Papers 99-15, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Richard J. Smith & A. M. Robert Taylor & Tomas del Barrio Castro, 2007. "Regression-based seasonal unit root tests," Discussion Papers 07/05, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration,"
6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Ghysels, Eric & Lee, Hahn S. & Noh, Jaesum, 1994. "Testing for unit roots in seasonal time series : Some theoretical extensions and a Monte Carlo investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 415-442, June.
- Denise Osborn & Paulo Rodrigues, 2002. "Asymptotic Distributions Of Seasonal Unit Root Tests: A Unifying Approach," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 221-241.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1993. "Seasonal cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 299-303.
- Ghysels,Eric & Osborn,Denise R., 2001.
"The Econometric Analysis of Seasonal Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521565882, December.
- Rodrigues, Paulo M. M. & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 2004. "Alternative estimators and unit root tests for seasonal autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 35-73, May.
- Smith, Richard J. & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 1998.
"Additional critical values and asymptotic representations for seasonal unit root tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 269-288, August.
- Smith, R.J. & Taylor, R., 1995. "Additional Critical Values and Asymptotic Representations for Seasonal Unit Roots Tests," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9529, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Richard Smith & Robert Taylor, . "Additional Critical Values and Asymptotic Representations for Seasonal Unit Root Tests," Discussion Papers 95/43, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sam Ouliaris, 1987.
"Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
847R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1988.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Ouliaris, S, 1990. "Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 165-93, January.
- Castro, Tomas del Barrio & Osborn, Denise R., 2008. "Testing For Seasonal Unit Roots In Periodic Integrated Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 1093-1129, August.
- Burridge, Peter & Taylor, A M Robert, 2001. "On the Properties of Regression-Based Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots in the Presence of Higher-Order Serial Correlation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 374-79, July.
- Rodrigues, Paulo M.M. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions For Regression-Based Seasonal Unit Root Test Statistics In A Near-Integrated Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 645-670, August.
- Hylleberg, Svend & Jorgensen, Clara & Sorensen, Nils Karl, 1993. "Seasonality in Macroeconomic Time Series," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 321-35.
- Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2003. "On The Asymptotic Properties Of Some Seasonal Unit Root Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 311-321, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bar:bedcje:2007170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espai de Recerca en Economia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.