Bootstrapping the HEGY seasonal unit root tests
This paper proposes bootstrap versions of the seasonal unit root tests of, inter alia, Hylleberg, Engle, Granger and Yoo (1990,Journal of Econometrics 55, 305-328)[HEGY]. We report a simulation study of the properties of both the conventional and bootstrapped seasonal unit root tests when applied to series having higher-order serial correlation and/or periodic heteroscedasticity, both of which are known to severely distort the significance level of the conventional tests. Our results demonstrate that the bootstrap provides good approximations to the statistics' null distributions. Moreover, the bootstrap corrects the adverse effects of data-dependent lag selection seen in the conventional augmented HEGY tests. The bootstrapped tests have comparable power to (infeasible) exactly significance-level-corrected lag-augmented HEGY tests, and their use is recommended
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ghysels, E. & Hall, A. & Lee, H.S., 1995.
"On Periodic Structures and Testing for Seasonal Unit Roots,"
Cahiers de recherche
9518, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Eric Ghysels & Alastair Hall & Hahn Shik Lee, 1995. "On Periodic Structures and Testing for Seasonal Unit Roots," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-21, CIRANO.
- Ghysels, E. & Hall, A. & Lee, H.S., 1995. "On Periodic Structures and Testing for Seasonal Unit Roots," Cahiers de recherche 9518, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Atsushi Inoue & Lutz Kilian, 2002.
"Bootstrapping Autoregressive Processes with Possible Unit Roots,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 377-391, January.
- Atsushi Inoue & Lutz Kilian, 2000. "Bootstrapping Autoregressive Processes with Possible Unit Roots," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0401, Econometric Society.
- Richard J. Smith & A. M. Robert Taylor & Tomas del Barrio Castro, 2007.
"Regression-based seasonal unit root tests,"
07/05, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration,"
6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Taylor, A. M. Robert, 1997. "On the practical problems of computing seasonal unit root tests," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 307-318, September.
- Burridge, Peter & Taylor, A M Robert, 2001. "On the Properties of Regression-Based Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots in the Presence of Higher-Order Serial Correlation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 374-379, July.
- Joseph Beaulieu, J. & Miron, Jeffrey A., 1993.
"Seasonal unit roots in aggregate U.S. data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 305-328.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 2001.
"Bootstrap Tests: How Many Bootstraps?,"
1036, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Psaradakis, Zacharias, 2000. "Bootstrap tests for unit roots in seasonal autoregressive models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 389-395, December.
- Russell Davidson & James MacKinnon, 2002. "Fast Double Bootstrap Tests Of Nonnested Linear Regression Models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 419-429.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 2001. "Bootstrapping Spurious Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1330, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Burridge, Peter & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 2001.
"On regression-based tests for seasonal unit roots in the presence of periodic heteroscedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 91-117, August.
- Burridge, P. & Taylor, A.M.R., 1999. "On Regression-Based Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots in the Presence of Periodic Heteroscedasticity," Discussion Papers 99-10, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Nankervis, John C & Savin, N E, 1996. "The Level and Power of the Bootstrap t Test in the AR(1) Model with Trend," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 161-168, April.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Moshe Buchinsky, 2000. "A Three-Step Method for Choosing the Number of Bootstrap Repetitions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 23-52, January.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1997.
"Bootstrap Tests of Nonnested Linear Regression Models,"
ASSET - Instituto De Economia Publica
170, ASSET (Association of Southern European Economic Theorists).
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 2002. "Bootstrap J tests of nonnested linear regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 167-193, July.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J. G., 1995. "Bootstrap Tests of Nonnested Linear Regression Models," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 97a25, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Savin, N. E., 2000. "Empirically relevant critical values for hypothesis tests: A bootstrap approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 375-389, April.
- Smith, Richard J. & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 1998.
"Additional critical values and asymptotic representations for seasonal unit root tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 269-288, August.
- Richard Smith & Robert Taylor, "undated". "Additional Critical Values and Asymptotic Representations for Seasonal Unit Root Tests," Discussion Papers 95/43, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Smith, R.J. & Taylor, R., 1995. "Additional Critical Values and Asymptotic Representations for Seasonal Unit Roots Tests," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9529, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Ghysels, Eric & Lee, Hahn S. & Noh, Jaesum, 1994. "Testing for unit roots in seasonal time series : Some theoretical extensions and a Monte Carlo investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 415-442, June.
- Park, Joon Y., 2002. "An Invariance Principle For Sieve Bootstrap In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 469-490, April.
- Rayner, Robert K, 1990. "Bootstrapping p Values and Power in the First-Order Autoregression: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 251-263, April.
- Andrews, Donald W. K. & Buchinsky, Moshe, 2001. "Evaluation of a three-step method for choosing the number of bootstrap repetitions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 345-386, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:123:y:2004:i:1:p:67-87. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.