An analysis of the trade balance for OECD countries using periodic integration and cointegration
We analyze imbalances in external accounts that have historically a¤ected most developed countries. The purpose of this study is to shed some light on the sus- tainability of the current account for a group of OECD countires by merging the popular Husted (1992) testing procedure with recent econometric analysis dealing with seasonality. A necessary condition for current account sustainability is that exports and imports are cointegrated. Following previous empirical studies (Husted (1992), Arize (2002) and Hamori (2009)) we analyze the long-run relationship link- ing exports and imports, using quarterly data. In contrast to these studies, we explicitly deal with seasonal e¤ects through the use of periodic integration and cointegration and nd a long-run relationship for the majority of the countries.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey, 2005.
"International Financial Adjustment,"
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey, 2007. "International Financial Adjustment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(4), pages 665-703, 08.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey, 2005. "International financial adjustment," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Helene Rey & Pierre Olivier Gourinchas, 2005. "International Financial Adjustment," 2005 Meeting Papers 169, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Rey, Hélène, 2005. "International Financial Adjustment," CEPR Discussion Papers 4923, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Helene Rey, 2005. "International Financial Adjustment," NBER Working Papers 11155, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Rey, HÃ©lÃ¨ne, 2005. "International Financial Adjustment," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt124628cx, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Olekalns, Nilss, 1994. "Testing for unit roots in seasonally adjusted data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 273-279.
- Sargan, John Denis & Bhargava, Alok, 1983. "Testing Residuals from Least Squares Regression for Being Generated by the Gaussian Random Walk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 153-74, January.
- Manuchehr Irandoust & Johan Ericsson, 2004. "Are Imports and Exports Cointegrated? An International Comparison," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 49-64, 02.
- Irandoust Manuchehr & Sjoo Boo, 2000. "The Behavior of the Current Account in Response to Unobservable and Observable Shocks," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 41-57.
- Kunst, Robert M., 2009. "A Nonparametric Test for Seasonal Unit Roots," Economics Series 233, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Johansen, S. & Schaumburg, E., 1997.
"Likelihood Analysis of Seasonal Cointegration,"
Economics Working Papers
eco97/16, European University Institute.
- Fountas Stilianos & Wu Jyh-Lin, 1999. "Are the U.S. Current Account Deficits Really Sustainable?," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 51-58.
- Arize, Augustine C., 2002. "Imports and exports in 50 countries: Tests of cointegration and structural breaks," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 101-115, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521562607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & A.M. Robert Taylor, 2004.
"Efficient Tests of the Seasonal Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2004/29, European University Institute.
- Rodrigues, Paulo M.M. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2007. "Efficient tests of the seasonal unit root hypothesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 548-573, December.
- Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & A.M. Robert Taylor, . "Efficient Tests of the Seasonal Unit Root Hypothesis," Discussion Papers 06/12, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Dierk Herzer & Nowak-Lehmann Felicitas, 2006. "Is there a long-run relationship between exports and imports in Chile?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(15), pages 981-986.
- Osborn, Denise R, et al, 1988. "Seasonality and the Order of Integration for Consumption," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 50(4), pages 361-77, November.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521565882 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ramos, Francisco F. Ribeiro, 2001. "Exports, imports, and economic growth in Portugal: evidence from causality and cointegration analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 613-623, December.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Paap, Richard, 2004. "Periodic Time Series Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199242030, March.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Seema Narayan, 2005. "Are exports and imports cointegrated? Evidence from 22 least developed countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(6), pages 375-378.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boswijk, H Peter & Franses, Philip Hans, 1995. "Periodic Cointegration: Representation and Inference," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 436-54, August.
- Abeysinghe, Tilak, 1994. "Deterministic seasonal models and spurious regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 259-272, April.
- Osborn, Denise R, 1988. "Seasonality and Habit Persistence in a Life Cycle Model of Consumptio n," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(4), pages 255-66, October-D.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 1993. "Seasonality and approximation errors in rational expectations models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 21-55.
- Maravall, Agustin, 1993. "Stochastic linear trends : Models and estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 5-37, March.
- Shigeyuki Hamori, 2009. "The sustainability of trade accounts of the G-7 countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(17), pages 1691-1694.
- del Barrio Castro Tomás & Osborn Denise R, 2011. "Nonparametric Tests for Periodic Integration," Journal of Time Series Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-35, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eec:wpaper:1320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silviano Esteve)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.