Net Replacement Rates of the Unemployed. Comparison of various approaches
The study reviews various approaches applied in computing net replacement rates for the unemployed. Until now, there have been relatively new comparative studies on net replacement rates. Most of them are based on simulation calculations for a set of stylised households. The stylised calculation method has given rise to discussion for a number of reasons such as different results in various studies, non-representative stylised households and sensitivity to various assumptions. In order to verify the results of stylised approaches, the Commission services have conducted this study on the basis of the European Community Household Panel (ECHP) data from 1993. For this purpose, an empirical equivalent for the net replacement rate is constructed by comparing the out-of-work income of the unemployed with the in-work income of the employed. The main body of the study analyses the results of the ECHP data. Moreover, the study discusses differences in approaches applied in various studies, their advantages and disadvantages as well as data issues.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Inter-institutional relations and communication Unit, B-1049 Brussels|
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/info/departments/economic-and-financial-affairs_en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, April.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, April.
- Rebecca M. Blank & Richard B. Freeman, 1994. "Evaluating the Connection between Social Protection and Economic Flexibility," NBER Chapters,in: Social Protection versus Economic Flexibility: Is There a Trade-Off?, pages 21-42 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rebecca M. Blank & Richard B. Freeman, 1993. "Evaluating the Connection Between Social Protection and Economic Flexib ility," NBER Working Papers 4338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben-Horim, Moshe & Zuckerman, Dror, 1987. "The Effect of Unemployment Insurance on Unemployment Duration," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(3), pages 386-390, July.
- Richard W. Blundell, 1995. "The Impact of Taxation on Labour Force Participation and Labour Supply," OECD Jobs Study Working Papers 8, OECD Publishing.
- Ahn, Namkee & Ugidos-Olazabal, Arantza, 1995. "Duration of Unemployment in Spain: Relative Effects of Unemployment Benefit and Family Characteristics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(2), pages 249-264, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)