In tandem for cohesion? Synergies and conflicts between regional and agricultural policies of the European Union
The paper sets out to analyze the allocations of financial resources accruing to the European regions from the Regional, Rural Development and Agricultural policies of the European Union in order to assess their territorial coordination and synergies and their degree of compatibility with the "general" objective of territorial cohesion. Regression analysis is used to evaluate the relationship between allocated funds (dependent variable) and factors of territorial disadvantage (explanatory variables) covering the 20-year period 1994-2013 and approximately 90% of total Community expenditure. The analysis reveals that both coordination and compatibility with territorial cohesion of the various areas of Community policy have not always improved in response to major policy reforms. The territorial ‘vocation’ of overall Community spending is weakly linked to its distribution among different policies, but it crucially depends upon how each policy area defines appropriate allocation mechanisms and interventions, based upon the characteristics of each region and its ‘local’ needs.
|Date of creation:||15 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barbero, Guiseppe, et al, 1984. "The Siena Memorandum on 'The Reform of the Common Agricultural Policy.'," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 11(2), pages 255-59.
- Riccardo Crescenzi, 2009.
"Undermining the principle of concentration?: European Union regional policy and the socio-economic disadvantage of European regions,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
23317, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Riccardo regstdcenzi, 2009. "Undermining the Principle of Concentration? European Union Regional Policy and the Socio-economic Disadvantage of European Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(1), pages 111-133.
- Paul Cheshire, 2000. "Endogenous Processes in European Regional Growth: Convergence and Policy," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(4), pages 455-479.
- Robert Greenbaum & Daniele Bondonio, 2004. "Losing Focus: A Comparative Evaluation of Spatially Targeted Economic Revitalization Programmes in the US and the EU," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 319-334.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- Maureen Kilkenny, 2010. "Urban/Regional Economics And Rural Development," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 449-470.
- S. Ederveen & H.L.F. de Groot & R. Nahuis, 2003.
"Fertile Soil for Structural Funds? A panel data analysis of the conditional effectiveness of European cohesion policy,"
03-14, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Sjef Ederveen & Henri L .F. Groot & Richard Nahuis, 2006. "Fertile Soil for Structural Funds?A Panel Data Analysis of the Conditional Effectiveness of European Cohesion Policy," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 17-42, 02.
- Sjef Ederveen & Henri de Groot & Richard Nahuis, 2002. "Fertile soil for structural funds? A panel data analysis of the conditional effectiveness of European cohesion policy," CPB Discussion Paper 10, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 2005.
"The effectiveness of structural policy in the European Union : An empirical analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001,"
Other publications TiSEM
c3ca201b-f33b-4ce0-a1f2-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Maaike Beugelsdijk & Sylvester C.W. Eijffinger, 2005. "The Effectiveness of Structural Policy in the European Union: An Empirical Analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 37-51, 03.
- Aadne Cappelen & Fulvio Castellacci & Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2003. "The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41, pages 621-644, 09.
- E. Paul Durrenberger, 2005. "Labour," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Economic Anthropology, chapter 8 Edward Elgar.
- Leslie Budd & Amer Hirmis, 2004. "Conceptual Framework for Regional Competitiveness," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1015-1028.
- Andrea Mairate, 2006. "The 'added value' of European Union Cohesion policy," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 167-177.
- Michael Kitson & Ron Martin & Peter Tyler, 2004. "Regional Competitiveness: An Elusive yet Key Concept?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 991-999.
- Ron Boschma, 2004. "Competitiveness of Regions from an Evolutionary Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1001-1014.
- Mohl, P. & Hagen, T., 2010. "Do EU structural funds promote regional growth? New evidence from various panel data approaches," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 353-365, September.
- Colin Wren, 2005. "Regional grants: are they worth it?," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 26(2), pages 245-275, June.
- Magrini, Stefano, 1999. "The evolution of income disparities among the regions of the European Union," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 257-281, March.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/9343 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fabrizio De Filippis & Daniela Storti, 2002. "Le politiche di sviluppo rurale nell´unione europea: un secondo pilastro tutto da inventare," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0025, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Karen Helene Midelfart-Knarvik & Henry G. Overman, 2002. "Delocation and European integration: is structural spending justified?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 321-359, October.
- Roberto Esposti, 2007. "Regional Growth and Policies in the European Union: Does the Common Agricultural Policy Have a Counter-Treatment Effect?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(1), pages 116-134.
- Ron Martin & Peter Tyler, 2006. "Evaluating the impact of the structural funds on objective 1 regions: An exploratory discussion," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 201-210.
- Philippe Martin, 1999. "Are European regional policies delivering?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/9343, Sciences Po.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erp:leqsxx:p0040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katjana Gattermann)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.