Reforming The Cap: An Agenda For Regional Growth?
This paper aims at analysing the recent CAP reform from the perspective of the current general and strategic objectives of the EU as defined by the Lisbon Strategy. A critical appraisal of the CAP impact in terms of regional growth is carried out. Firstly from a strictly conceptual and methodological point of view, then by analysing more in detail how CAP reform (of both Pillar I and II) might have actually affected the role of the CAP in promoting (or hindering) regional growth and, therefore, convergence. Empirical evidence provided by the different available methodologies has progressively emerged in the very last years. Though a conclusive answer on the impact of the reform can not be drawn, it still emerges that the role of CAP design and implementation in affecting regional growth and convergence is usually underestimated and often neglected in the discussions about the future of the CAP. At the same time, however, this role is not univocal and strongly case-specific, as it substantially differs across regions according to their socio-economic structure and how reforms are jointly implemented.
|Date of creation:||14 Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonela Finizia & Riccardo Magnani & Federico Perali & Paolo Polinori & Cristina Salvioni, 2005. "Construction and Simulation of the General Economic Equilibrium Model Meg-Ismea for the Italian Economy," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 17/2005, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Balamou, Eudokia & Pouliaikas, Kostas & Roberts, Deborah & Psaltopoulos, Demetrios, 2008. "Modeling The Rural-Urban Effects Of Changes In Agricultural Policies: A Bi-Regional Cge Analysis Of Two Case Study Regions," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6651, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Latruffe, Laure & Guyomard, Herve & Le Mouel, Chantal, 2008. "Impact of CAP Direct Payments on French Farms’ Managerial Efficiency," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44144, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rocchi, Benedetto & Romano, Donato & Stefani, Gianluca, 2005.
"Distributive impacts of alternative agricultural policies: A SAM-based analysis for Italy,"
Cahiers d'Economie et de Sociologie Rurales (CESR),
INRA (French National Institute for Agricultural Research), vol. 77.
- Benedetto Rocchi & Donato Romano & Gianluca Stefani, 2005. "Distributive impacts of alternative agricultural policies: A SAM-based analysis for Italy," Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 77, pages 85-112.
- Roberto Esposti, 2007. "Regional Growth and Policies in the European Union: Does the Common Agricultural Policy Have a Counter-Treatment Effect?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(1), pages 116-134.
- Midmore, Peter & Langstaff, Lesley & Lowman, Stephen & Vaughan, Alison, 2008. "Evaluating Pillar 2 Employment Impacts: Case Study Methodology and Results for East Wales," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43959, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Roberts, Deborah, 1998. "Rural-Urban Interdependencies: Analysis Using an Inter-Regional SAM Model," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(4), pages 506-27.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Fratesi, Ugo, 2002. "Unbalanced development strategies and the lack of regional convergence in the EU," ERSA conference papers ersa02p415, European Regional Science Association.
- Douarin, Elodie, 2008. "Do decoupled payments really encourage farmers to work more off farm? A micro-level analysis of incentives and preferences," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44024, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lambarraa, Fatima & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Serra, Teresa & Gil, Jose Maria, 2008. "The impact of the CAP reforms on the efficiency of the COP sector in Spain," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44408, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Roberto Esposti, 2012. "The Driving Forces of Agricultural Decline:A Panel-Data Approach to the Italian Regional Growth," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 60(3), pages 377-405, 09.
- Felici, F. & Paniccia, R. & Rocchi, Benedetto, 2008. "Economic Impact of Rural Development Plan 2007 2013 in Tuscany," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44256, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Roberto Esposti, 2008. "Regional growth convergence and EU policies: Empirical evidence and measuring problems," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 9(1), pages 14-22, 04.
- Löfgren, Hans & Harris, Rebecca Lee & Robinson, Sherman, 2001. "A standard computable general equilibrium (CGE) model in GAMS," TMD discussion papers 75, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Courleux, F. & Guyomard, Herve & Piet, Laurent, 2008. "Mapping the Decoupling : Transfer Efficiency of the Single Farm Payment Scheme," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44185, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Arovuori, Kyösti, 2008. "Controversies between Stated Agricultural Policy Objectives and Policy Measures in the EU's CAP," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43844, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Barbara Cavalletti & Benedetto Rocchi, 2006. "Efficiency grounds and welfare effects in decoupling farm support. Insights from an AGE model of the Italian economy," International Journal of Sustainable Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 9(2), pages 106-121.
- Roberto Esposti & Stefania Bussoletti, 2008. "Impact of Objective 1 Funds on Regional Growth Convergence in the European Union: A Panel-data Approach," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 159-173.
- Helming, John F.M. & Verhoog, A. David & van Meijl, Hans & Nowicki, Peter, 2008. "Effects of CAP reform on regional employment in the EU," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44373, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kilkenny, Maureen, 1993. "Rural vs. Urban Effects of Terminating Farm Subsidies," Staff General Research Papers 11121, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Katranidis, Stelios D. & Kotakou, Christina A., 2008. "Are CAP Decoupling Policies Really Production Neutral?," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44184, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- P. Midmore, 1993. "Input-Output Forecasting Of Regional Agricultural Policy Impacts," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 284-300.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa109:44868. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.