The Economic Effects of Common Agricultural Policy Trends on Montado Ecosystem in Southern Portugal
The decoupling of CAP payments leads production decisions and resources allocation to be dependent only on market prices and competitive advantages. The objective of this paper is to assess the effects of CAP trends on the montado ecosystem in southern Portugal in terms of land, labour and capital allocation and farm income. A positive mathematical supply model disaggregated by the main montado agro-forestry production system in the Alentejo region is developed. The results show that decoupling payments of CAP have important economic effects and the foreseen increases in prices do not compensate the loss of the Agenda 2000 area payments.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Colégio Espírito SANTO|
Phone: (351) 266 740 869
Web page: http://www.cefage.uevora.pt
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ottmar Röhm & Stephan Dabbert, 2003. "Integrating Agri-Environmental Programs into Regional Production Models: An Extension of Positive Mathematical Programming," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 254-265.
- Douarin, Elodie, 2008. "Do decoupled payments really encourage farmers to work more off farm? A micro-level analysis of incentives and preferences," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44024, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- David S. Bullock & Klaus Salhofer & Jukka Kola, 1999. "The Normative Analysis of Agricultural Policy: A General Framework and Review," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 512-535.
- Ooms, Daan L. & Hall, Alastair R., 2005. "On- and Off-Farm Labour Supply of Dutch Dairy Farmers: Estimation and Policy Simulations," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24506, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hisham El-Osta & Ashok Mishra & Mary Ahearn, 2004. "Labor Supply by Farm Operators Under “Decoupled” Farm Program Payments," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 367-385, 08.
- Horner, G.L. & Corman, J. & Howitt, R.E. & Carter, C.A. & MacGregor, R.J., 1992. "The Canadian Regional Agriculture Model Structure, Operation and Development," Papers 1-92, Gouvernement du Canada - Agriculture Canada.
- Quirino Paris & Richard E. Howitt, 1998. "An Analysis of Ill-Posed Production Problems Using Maximum Entropy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 124-138.
- Katranidis, Stelios D. & Kotakou, Christina A., 2008. "Are CAP Decoupling Policies Really Production Neutral?," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44184, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fragoso, Rui Manuel de Sousa & Carvalho, Maria Leonor da Silva & Henriques, Pedro Damiao de Sousa, 2008. "Positive Mathematical Programming: a Comparison of Different Specification Rules," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44242, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Courleux, F. & Guyomard, Herve & Piet, Laurent, 2008. "Mapping the Decoupling : Transfer Efficiency of the Single Farm Payment Scheme," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44185, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paolo Sckokai & Daniele Moro, 2006. "Modeling the Reforms of the Common Agricultural Policy for Arable Crops under Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 43-56.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfe:wpcefa:2009_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.