Positive Mathematical Programming Approaches â€“ Recent Developments in Literature and Applied Modelling
This paper reviews and discusses the more recent literature and application of Positive Mathematical Programming in the context of agricultural supply models. Specifically, advances in the empirical foundation of parameter specifications as well as the economic rationalisation of PMP models â€“ both criticized in earlier reviews â€“ are investigated. Moreover, the paper provides an overview on a larger set of models with regular/repeated policy application that apply variants of PMP. Results show that most applications today avoid arbitrary parameter specifications and rely on exogenous information on supply responses to calibrate model parameters. However, only few approaches use multiple observations to estimate parameters, which is likely due to the still considerable technical challenges associated with it. Equally, we found only limited reflection on the behavioral or technological assumptions that could rationalise the PMP model structure while still keeping the modelâ€™s advantages.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aieaa.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre Mérel & Santiago Bucaram, 2010. "Exact calibration of programming models of agricultural supply against exogenous supply elasticities," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 37(3), pages 395-418, September.
- Jeroen Buysse & Bruno Fernagut & Olivier Harmignie & Bruno Henry de Frahan & Ludwig Lauwers & Philippe Polomé & Guido Van Huylenbroeck & Jef Van Meensel, 2007.
"Farm-based modelling of the EU sugar reform: impact on Belgian sugar beet suppliers,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 21-52, March.
- Jeroen Buysse & Bruno Fernagut & Olivier Harmignie & Bruno Henry de Frahan & Ludwig Lauwers & Philippe Polomé & Guido Van Huylenbroeck & Jef Van Meensel, 2007. "Farm-based modelling of the EU sugar reform: impact on Belgian sugar beet suppliers," Post-Print halshs-00359076, HAL.
- Stéphane De Cara & Martin Houzé & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2004. "Greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture in the EU: A spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs," Working Papers 2004/04, INRA, Economie Publique.
- de Cara, Stephane & Houze, Martin & Jayet, Pierre-Alain, 2004. "Greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture in the EU: A spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs," 2004 Conference (48th), February 11-13, 2004, Melbourne, Australia 58401, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Mann, Stefan & Mack, Gabriele & Ferjani, Ali, 2003. "KÃ¶nnen Produktionsentscheidungen als Investitionsentscheidungen modelliert werden?," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 52(7).
- Gocht, Alexander & Britz, Wolfgang, 2011. "EU-wide farm type supply models in CAPRI--How to consistently disaggregate sector models into farm type models," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 146-167, January.
- Uwe A. Schneider & Juraj Balkovic & Stephane de Cara & Oskar Franklin & Steffen Fritz & Petr Havlik & Ingo Huck & Kerstin Jantke & A. Maarit I. Kallio & Florian Klaxner & Alexander Moiseyev & Michael , 2008. "The European Forest and Agriculture Optimisation Model -- EUFASOM," Working Papers FNU-156, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Feb 2008.
- Havlík, Petr & Schneider, Uwe A. & Schmid, Erwin & Böttcher, Hannes & Fritz, Steffen & Skalský, Rastislav & Aoki, Kentaro & Cara, Stéphane De & Kindermann, Georg & Kraxner, Florian & Leduc, Sylvain & , 2011. "Global land-use implications of first and second generation biofuel targets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 5690-5702, October.
- Thomas Heckelei & Hendrik Wolff, 2003. "Estimation of constrained optimisation models for agricultural supply analysis based on generalised maximum entropy," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 27-50, March.
- Schneider, Uwe A. & McCarl, Bruce A. & Schmid, Erwin, 2007. "Agricultural sector analysis on greenhouse gas mitigation in US agriculture and forestry," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 128-140, May.
- Horner, G.L. & Corman, J. & Howitt, R.E. & Carter, C.A. & MacGregor, R.J., 1992. "The Canadian Regional Agriculture Model Structure, Operation and Development," Papers 1-92, Gouvernement du Canada - Agriculture Canada.
- Argyris Kanellopoulos & Paul Berentsen & Thomas Heckelei & Martin van Ittersum & Alfons Oude Lansink, 2010. "Assessing the Forecasting Performance of a Generic Bio-Economic Farm Model Calibrated With Two Different PMP Variants," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 274-294.
- Petsakos, Athanasios & Rozakis, Stelios, 2011. "Integrating risk and uncertainty in PMP models," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114762, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Arfini, Filippo & Donati, Michele & Grossi, L. & Paris, Quirino, 2008. "Revenue and Cost Functions in PMP: a Methodological Integration for a Territorial Analysis of CAP," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6636, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jansson, Torbjörn & Heckelei, Thomas, 2009. "A new estimator for trade costs and its small sample properties," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 489-498, March.
- Johansson, Robert & Peters, Mark & House, Robert, 2007. "Regional Environment and Agriculture Programming Model," Technical Bulletins 184314, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Quirino Paris & Richard E. Howitt, 1998. "An Analysis of Ill-Posed Production Problems Using Maximum Entropy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 124-138.
- Pierre Mérel & Leo K. Simon & Fujin Yi, 2011. "A Fully Calibrated Generalized Constant-Elasticity-of-Substitution Programming Model of Agricultural Supply," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(4), pages 936-948.
- Cortignani, Raffaele & Severini, Simone, 2009. "Modeling farm-level adoption of deficit irrigation using Positive Mathematical Programming," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(12), pages 1785-1791, December.
- Erwin Schmid & Franz Sinabell, 2004. "On the Choice of Farm Management Practices after the Reform of the Common Agricultural Policy in 2003," WIFO Working Papers 233, WIFO.
- Britz, Wolfgang, 2008. "Automated model linkages: the example of CAPRI," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 57(8). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)