Disentangling the relationship between nonprofit and social capital: the role of social cooperatives and social welfare associations in the development of networks of strong and weak ties
We use a unique dataset to study how participation in two specific types of nonprofit organizations, i.e. social welfare associations and social cooperatives, affects individual social capital. A descriptive analysis shows that both the types of organization have a positive impact. The econometric analysis reveals that social welfare associations play a significantly greater role in the development of volunteers' networks of cooperative relationships, favouring the creation of weak ties which are used to exchange information and advice, and offering the opportunity to establish stronger ties entailing concrete mutual support. Within social cooperatives, workers develop their individual social capital to a greater extent than volunteers.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0039 02 6448 6540
Web page: http://www.econometica.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2008. "Alfred Marshall Lecture Social Capital as Good Culture," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 6(2-3), pages 295-320, 04-05.
- Hans WESTLUND & Malin GAWELL, 2012.
"Building Social Capital For Social Entrepreneurship,"
Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 83(1), pages 101-116, 03.
- Hans Westlund & Malin Gawell, 2011. "Building social capital for societal entrepreneurship," ERSA conference papers ersa10p190, European Regional Science Association.
- Giacomo Degli Antoni & Lorenzo Sacconi, 2008.
"A Theoretical Analysis of the Relationship between Social Capital and Corporate Social Responsibility: Concepts and Definitions,"
Econometica Working Papers
- Lorenzo Sacconi & Giacomo Degli Antoni, 2008. "A theoretical analysis of the relationship between social capital and corporate social responsibility: concepts and definitions," Department of Economics Working Papers 0813, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2009.
"Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 124(3), pages 1095-1131, August.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2005. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange," 2005 Meeting Papers 234, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2004. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange," NBER Working Papers 11005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2005. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange," CEPR Discussion Papers 4837, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2007. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange?," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/42, European University Institute.
- Fiorillo, Damiano & Sabatini, Fabio, 2011. "Quality and quantity: The role of social interactions in self-reported individual health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 73(11), pages 1644-1652.
- Sherman Folland, 2006. "Value of life and behavior toward health risks: an interpretation of social capital," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 159-171.
- Marc Sangnier, 2012.
"Does Trust Favor Macroeconomic Stability?,"
AMSE Working Papers
1227, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Christoforou, Asimina, 2010. "Social capital and human development: an empirical investigation across European countries," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 191-214, June.
- Fabio Sabatini & Francesca Modena & Ermanno Tortia, 2014.
"Do cooperative enterprises create social trust?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 621-641, March.
- Fabio Sabatini & Francesca Modena & Ermanno Tortia, 2012. "Do cooperative enterprises create social trust?," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2012_10, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Sabatini, Fabio & Modena, Francesca & Tortia, Ermanno, 2012. "Do cooperative enterprises create social trust?," MPRA Paper 39814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Damiano Fiorillo & Fabio Sabatini, 2011.
"Quality and quantity: The role of social interactions in individual health,"
2_2011, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Fiorillo Damiano & Sabatini Fabio, 2011. "Quality and quantity: The role of social interactions in individual health," wp.comunite 0073, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Damiano, Fiorillo & Fabio, Sabatini, 2011. "Quality and quantity: the role of social interactions in individual health," MPRA Paper 29777, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fiorillo, D; & Sabatini, F;, 2011. "Quality and quantity: the role of social interactions in individual health," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 11/04, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Fiorillo, Damiano & Sabatini, Fabio, 2011. "Quality and quantity: the role of social interactions in individual health," AICCON Working Papers 84-2011, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Alessandra Pelloni & Fiammetta Rossetti, 2008.
"Relational Goods, Sociability, and happiness,"
CEIS Research Paper
117, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 14 Jul 2008.
- Timothy T. Brown & Richard M. Scheffler & Sukyong Seo & Mary Reed, 2006. "The empirical relationship between community social capital and the demand for cigarettes," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(11), pages 1159-1172.
- Carlo BORZAGA, 1996. "Social Cooperatives And Work Integration In Italy," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(2), pages 209-234, 06.
- Knack, Stephen, 2003. " Groups, Growth and Trust: Cross-Country Evidence on the Olson and Putnam Hypotheses," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 117(3-4), pages 341-55, December.
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & van Schaik, Ton, 2005. "Social capital and growth in European regions: an empirical test," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 301-324, June.
- D. Joseph Stiglitz, 2009. "Moving Beyond Market Fundamentalism To A More Balanced Economy ," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 80(3), pages 345-360, 09.
- Bruni, Luigino & Stanca, Luca, 2008.
"Watching alone: Relational goods, television and happiness,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 65(3-4), pages 506-528, March.
- Luigino Bruni & Luca Stanca, 2005. "Watching alone: Relational Goods, Television and Happiness," Working Papers 90, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2005.
- Robison, Lindon J. & Siles, Marcelo E. & Jin, Songqing, 2011. "Social capital and the distribution of household income in the United States: 1980, 1990, and 2000," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 538-547.
- Zak, Paul J & Knack, Stephen, 2001. "Trust and Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 295-321, April.
- Giacomo Degli Antoni, 2009. "Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic Motivations to Volunteer and Social Capital Formation," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 359-370, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ent:wpaper:wp48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Rizzolli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.