The Sovereign-Bank Diabolic Loop and ESBies
We propose a simple model of the sovereign-bank diabolic loop, and establish four results. First, the diabolic loop can be avoided by restricting banks domestic sovereign exposures relative to their equity. Second, equity requirements can be lowered if banks only hold senior domestic sovereign debt. Third, such requirements shrink even further if banks only hold the senior tranche of an internationally diversified sovereign portfolio known as ESBies in the euro-area context. Finally, ESBies generate more safe assets than domestic debt tranching alone; and, insofar as the diabolic loop is defused, the junior tranche generated by the securitization is itself risk-free.
|Date of creation:||2016|
|Date of revision:||May 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Sallustiana, 62 - 00187 Roma|
Phone: +39 066790013
Fax: +39 0647924872
Web page: http://www.eief.it/repec
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farhi, Emmanuel & Tirole, Jean, 2015.
"Deadly Embrace: Sovereign and Financial Balance Sheets Doom Loops,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
11024, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Emmanuel Farhi & Jean Tirole, 2017. "Deadly Embrace - Sovereign and Financial Balance Sheets Doom Loops," EconPol Working Paper 1, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Emmanuel Farhi & Jean Tirole, 2016. "Deadly Embrace: Sovereign and Financial Balance Sheets Doom Loops," Working Paper 164191, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Emmanuel Farhi & Jean Tirole, 2016. "Deadly Embrace: Sovereign and Financial Balance Sheets Doom Loops," NBER Working Papers 21843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Russell Cooper & Kalin Nikolov, 2013. "Government Debt and Banking Fragility: The Spreading of Strategic Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 19278, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jakob von Weizsäcker & Jacques Delpla, 2011. "Eurobonds: The blue bond concept and its implications," Policy Contributions 509, Bruegel.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2013. "Finance at Center Stage: Some Lessons of the Euro Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 9415, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2013. "Finance at Center Stage: Some Lessons of the Euro Crisis," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 493, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Viral Acharya & Itamar Drechsler & Philipp Schnabl, 2014. "A Pyrrhic Victory? Bank Bailouts and Sovereign Credit Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 69(6), pages 2689-2739, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eie:wpaper:1603. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facundo Piguillem)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.