Structural VARs, Deterministic and Stochastic Trends: Does Detrending Matter?
We highlight how detrending within Structural Vector Autoregressions (SVAR) is directly linked to the shock identification. Consequences of trend misspecification are investigated using a prototypical Real Business Cycle model as the Data Generating Process. Decomposing the different sources of biases in the estimated impulse response functions, we find the biases arising directly from trend misspecification are not trivial when compared to other widely studied misspecifications. Our example also illustrates how misspecifying the trend can also distort impulse response functions of even the correctly detrended variable within the SVAR system.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ryuta Ray Kato & Hiroaki Miyamoto, 2012.
"Fiscal Stimulus and Labor Market Dynamics in Japan,"
EMS_2012_19, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Kato, Ryuta Ray & Miyamoto, Hiroaki, 2013. "Fiscal stimulus and labor market dynamics in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 33-58.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Luca Guerrieri & Christopher Gust, 2005.
"Can Long-Run Restrictions Identify Technology Shocks?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 3(6), pages 1237-1278, December.
- Christopher Erceg & Luca Guerrieri & Christopher Gust, 2004. "Can long-run restrictions identify technology shocks?," International Finance Discussion Papers 792, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christopher J. Erceg & Luca Guerrieri, 2004. "Can Long-Run Restrictions Identify Technology Shocks?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 3, Society for Computational Economics.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2008.
"Are Structural VARs with Long-Run Restrictions Useful in Developing Business Cycle Theory?,"
NBER Working Papers
14430, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chari, V.V. & Kehoe, Patrick J. & McGrattan, Ellen R., 2008. "Are structural VARs with long-run restrictions useful in developing business cycle theory?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 1337-1352, November.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2007. "Are structural VARs with long-run restrictions useful in developing business cycle theory?," Staff Report 364, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Francis, Neville & Ramey, Valerie A., 2005.
"Is the technology-driven real business cycle hypothesis dead? Shocks and aggregate fluctuations revisited,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 1379-1399, November.
- Ramey, Valerie A & Francis, Neville, 2002. "Is The Technology-Driven Real Business Cycle Hypothesis Dead? Shocks and Aggregate Fluctuations Revisted," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6x80k3nx, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Federico Ravenna, 2006.
"Vector autoregressions and reduced form representations of DSGE models,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0619, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ravenna, Federico, 2007. "Vector autoregressions and reduced form representations of DSGE models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 2048-2064, October.
- Federico Ravenna, 2005. "Vector Autoregressions and Reduced Form Representations of DSGE Models," 2005 Meeting Papers 841, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pagan, A.R. & Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2008.
"Econometric analysis of structural systems with permanent and transitory shocks,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 3376-3395, October.
- Adrian R. Pagan & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2008. "Econometric Analysis of Structural Systems with Permanent and Transitory Shocks," Discussion Papers 2008-04, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Susanto Basu & John Fernald & Miles Kimball, 2004.
"Are Technology Improvements Contractionary?,"
NBER Working Papers
10592, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susanto Basu & John Fernald & Miles Kimball, 2004. "Are technology improvements contractionary?," Working Paper Series WP-04-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Susanto Basu & John Fernald & Miles Kimball, 2002. "Are Technology Improvements Contractionary?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1986, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Susanto Basu & John Fernald & Miles Kimball, 1998. "Are technology improvements contractionary?," International Finance Discussion Papers 625, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gert Peersman & Ine Van Robays, 2010.
"Cross-Country Differences in the Effects of Oil Shocks,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3306, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peersman, Gert & Van Robays, Ine, 2012. "Cross-country differences in the effects of oil shocks," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1532-1547.
- G. Peersman & I. Van Robays & -, 2009. "Cross-Country Differences in the Effects of Oil Shocks," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/629, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Leu, Shawn Chen-Yu, 2011.
"A New Keynesian SVAR model of the Australian economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 157-168.
- Leu, Shawn Chen-Yu, 2011. "A New Keynesian SVAR model of the Australian economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 157-168, January.
- Gary Hansen, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
233, David K. Levine.
- Fabio Canova & Filippo Ferroni, 2010.
"Multiple Filtering Devices for the Estimation of Cyclical DSGE Models,"
498, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Fabio Canova & Filippo Ferroni, 2011. "Multiple filtering devices for the estimation of cyclical DSGE models," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 2(1), pages 73-98, 03.
- Fabio Canova & Filippo Ferroni, 2009. "Multiple filtering devices for the estimation of cyclical DSGE models," Economics Working Papers 1135, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2010.
- Cover, James P. & Mallick, Sushanta K., 2012. "Identifying sources of macroeconomic and exchange rate fluctuations in the UK," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1627-1648.
- Finlay, Richard & Jääskelä, Jarkko P., 2014. "Credit supply shocks and the global financial crisis in three small open economies," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 270-276.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:camaaa:2014-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.