Political Risk, Economic Integration, and the Foreign Direct Investment Decision
In this paper we analyse the impact of policy uncertainty on foreign direct investment strategies. We also consider the impact of economic integration upon FDI decisions. The paper follows the real options approach, which allows investigating the value to a firm of waiting to invest and/or disinvest, when payoffs are stochastic due to political uncertainty and investments are partially reversible. Across the board we find that political uncertainty can be very detrimental to FDI decisions while economic integration leads to an increasing benefit of investing abroad.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.sire.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andres, 1993.
"Economic instability and aggregate investment,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1148, The World Bank.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andrés., 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Working papers 3552-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Andres Solimano, 1993. "Economic Instability and Aggregate Investment," NBER Working Papers 4380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory J. Brock, 1998. "Foreign direct investment in Russia's regions 1993-95. Why so little and where has it gone?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 6(2), pages 349-360, November.
- Dani Rodrik, 1989.
"Policy Uncertainty and Private Investment in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
2999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Policy uncertainty and private investment in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 229-242, October.
- Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Pietro Garibaldi, 2002.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Brenton, Paul & Gros, Daniel, 1997. "Trade Reorientation and Recovery in Transition Economies," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 65-76, Summer.
- Ephraim Clark, 2003. "Pricing the Cost of Expropriation Risk," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 412-422, 05.
- Brenton, Paul & Di Mauro, Francesca, 1999. "The Potential Magnitude and Impact of FDI flows to CEECs," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 59-74.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:sirdps:19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.