Who Earns Minimum Wages in Europe? New Evidence Based on Household Surveys
This paper aims to provide a comprehensive, evidence-based, and up-to-date assessment of minimum wages in a range of European countries. A first step towards a better understanding of where Europe stands today on this issue requires to grasp the diversity of European minimum wage systems, a key objective of the paper at hand. The second objective is to document international differences in the so-called "bite" of the minimum wage. This leads to questions such as "how do national minimum wages compare to the overall wage distribution?" and "how many people earn minimum wages in each country?" that are assessed for a set of nine countries from Western, Central and Eastern Europe: Belgium, Bulgaria, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Poland, Romania, Spain, and the United Kingdom. This sample was designed to include countries for which recent evidence has been missing prior to this paper. What is more, the study also overcomes the narrow focus of extant overviews that have typically focussed only on full-time employment. Crucially, the study improves on existing work by looking beyond aggregate numbers; it provides a detailed panorama of the population of minimum wage earners in each country under investigation, notably by describing their composition in terms of a range of socio-demographic characteristics.
|Date of creation:||10 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iga Magda & François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow & Daphné Valsamis, 2009.
"Wage differentials across sectors in Europe: an east-west comparison,"
Working Papers CEB
09-003.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Magda, Iga & Rycx, Francois & Tojerow, Ilan & Valsamis, Daphné, 2008. "Wage Differentials across Sectors in Europe: An East-West Comparison," IZA Discussion Papers 3830, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Iga Magda & François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow & Daphné Valsamis, 2011. "Wage differentials across sectors in Europe: An east-west comparison," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/138897, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow & Daphné Valsamis, 2008. "Wage differentials across sectors in Europe: an east-west comparison," DULBEA Working Papers 08-17.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Charles Brown & Curtis Gilroy & Andrew Kohen, 1982. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 0846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephan Kampelmann & François Rycx, 2013.
"Does institutional diversity account for pay rules in Germany and Belgium?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/184397, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kampelmann, Stephan & Rycx, Francois, 2011. "Does Institutional Diversity Account for Pay Rules in Germany and Belgium?," IZA Discussion Papers 6010, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stephan Kampelmann & François Rycx, 2011. "Does institutional diversity account for pay rules in Germany and Belgium?," DULBEA Working Papers 11-12, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Stephan Kampelmann & François Rycx, 2011. "Does institutional diversity account for pay rules in Germany and Belgium?," Working Papers CEB 11-042, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Joachim Frick & Kristina Krell, 2011.
"Einkommensmessungen in Haushaltspanelstudien für Deutschland: Ein Vergleich von EU-SILC und SOEP,"
AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv,
Springer;Deutsche Statistische Gesellschaft - German Statistical Society, vol. 5(3), pages 221-248, December.
- Joachim R. Frick & Kristina Krell, 2009. "Einkommensmessungen in Haushaltspanelstudien für Deutschland: ein Vergleich von EU-SILC und SOEP," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 237, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Iga Magda & François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow & Daphné Valsamis, 2011. "Wage differentials across sectors in Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(4), pages 749-769, October.
- Brown, Charles & Gilroy, Curtis & Kohen, Andrew, 1982. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 487-528, June.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014.
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/1oclgdahv98, Sciences Po.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014. "Labor Economics," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01076752, HAL.
- Daniele Checchi & Claudio Lucifora, 2002.
"Unions and labour market institutions in Europe,"
Departmental Working Papers
2002-16, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan, 1997. "Minimum wages and economic outcomes in Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 733-742, April.
- John Kennan, 1995.
"The Elusive Effects of Minimum Wages,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1950-1965, December.
- Lothar Funk & Hagen Lesch, 2006. "Minimum Wage Regulations in Selected European Countries," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 41(2), pages 78-92, March.
- David Neumark & William L. Wascher, 2008. "Minimum Wages," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262141027, March.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 2004.
"Minimum Wages, Labor Market Institutions, and Youth Employment: A Cross-National Analysis,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 57(2), pages 223-248, January.
- David Naumark & William Wascher, 2003. "Minimum wages, labor market institutions, and youth employment: a cross-national analysis," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Neumark & DMark Schweitzer & DaWilliam Wascher, 2004. "Minimum Wage Effects throughout the Wage Distribution," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(2).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dul:wpaper:2013/137078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.