What about Coal?: Interactions between Climate Policies and the Global Steam Coal Market until 2030
Because of economic growth and a strong increase in global energy demand the demand for fossil fuels and therefore also greenhouse gas emissions are increasing, although climate policy should lead to the opposite effect. The coal market is of special relevance as coal is available in many countries and often their first choice to meet energy demand. In this paper we assess possible interactions between climate policies and the global steam coal market. Possible market adjustments between demand centers through market effects are investigated with a numerical model of the global steam coal market until 2030: the "COALMOD-World" model. The COALMOD-World model is an equilibrium model that computes future trade flows, infrastructure investments and prices until 2030. We investigate three specific designs of climate policy: a unilateral European climate policy, an Indonesian export-limiting policy and a carbon capture and storage (CCS) fast-roll out policy in the broader context of climate policy and market constraints. We find that market adjustment effects in the coal market can have significant positive and negative impacts on the effectiveness of climate policies.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boehringer Christoph & Fischer Carolyn & Rosendahl Knut Einar, 2010.
"The Global Effects of Subglobal Climate Policies,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(2), pages 1-35, December.
- Böhringer, Christoph & Fischer, Carolyn & Rosendahl, Knut Einar, 2010. "The Global Effects of Subglobal Climate Policies," Discussion Papers dp-10-48, Resources For the Future.
- Christoph Böhringer & Carolyn Fischer & Knut Einar Rosendahl, 2010. "The Global Effects of Subglobal Climate Policies," Discussion Papers 634, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Holz, Franziska & von Hirschhausen, Christian & Kemfert, Claudia, 2008.
"A strategic model of European gas supply (GASMOD),"
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 766-788, May.
- Paulus, Moritz & Trüby, Johannes, 2011. "Coal lumps vs. electrons: How do Chinese bulk energy transport decisions affect the global steam coal market?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1127-1137.
- Lise, Wietze & Hobbs, Benjamin F. & van Oostvoorn, Frits, 2008. "Natural gas corridors between the EU and its main suppliers: Simulation results with the dynamic GASTALE model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1890-1906, June.
- Daniel Huppmann & Ruud Egging & Franziska Holz & Sophia Rüster & Christian von Hirschhausen & Steven A. Gabriel, 2009. "The World Gas Market in 2030: Development Scenarios Using the World Gas Model," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 931, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Johannes Truby and Moritz Paulus, 2012.
"Market Structure Scenarios in International Steam Coal Trade,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3).
- Trueby, Johannes & Paulus, Moritz, 2011. "Market Structure Scenarios in International Steam Coal Trade," EWI Working Papers 2011-2, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln (EWI).
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Goulder, L.H. & Gurney, D.J., 2003.
"Efficiency Costs of Meeting Industry-Distributional Constraints under Environmental Permits and Taxes,"
2003-86, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- A. Lans Bovenberg & Lawrence H. Goulder & Derek J. Gurney, 2005. "Efficiency Costs of Meeting Industry-Distributional Constraints Under Environmental Permits and Taxes," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(4), pages 950-970, Winter.
- A.L. Bovenberg & Lawrence H. Goulder & Derek J. Gurney, 2003. "Efficiency Costs of Meeting Industry-Distributional Constraints under Environmental Permits and Taxes," NBER Working Papers 10059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harold Hotelling, 1931. "The Economics of Exhaustible Resources," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 137-137.
- D. Demailly & Philippe Quirion, 2008.
"European Emission Trading Scheme and competitiveness: A case study on the iron and steel industry,"
- Demailly, Damien & Quirion, Philippe, 2008. "European Emission Trading Scheme and competitiveness: A case study on the iron and steel industry," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 2009-2027, July.
- Bohringer, Christoph, 1998. "The synthesis of bottom-up and top-down in energy policy modeling," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 233-248, June.
- Luthfi Fatah, 2008. "The Impact of Coal Mining on the Economy and Environment of South Kalimantan Province, Indonesia," EEPSEA Research Report rr2008061, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Jun 2008.
- Hart, Rob & Spiro, Daniel, 2011. "The elephant in Hotelling's room," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 7834-7838.
- Michielsen, T.O., 2011. "Brown Backstops versus the Green Paradox (Revision of CentER DP 2011-076)," Discussion Paper 2011-110, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Clemens Haftendorn & Franziska Holz, 2010. "Modeling and Analysis of the International Steam Coal Trade," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 205-230.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2008. "Public policies against global warming: a supply side approach," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 15(4), pages 360-394, August.
- Lise, Wietze & Hobbs, Benjamin F., 2008. "Future evolution of the liberalised European gas market: Simulation results with a dynamic model," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 989-1004.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1981. "Models of resource markets and the explanation of resource price behaviour," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 130-139, July.
- Gibbins, Jon & Chalmers, Hannah, 2008. "Carbon capture and storage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4317-4322, December.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2008. "Public policies against global warming: A supply side approach," Munich Reprints in Economics 19638, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Patzek, Tadeusz W. & Croft, Gregory D., 2010. "A global coal production forecast with multi-Hubbert cycle analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 3109-3122.
- Böhringer, Christoph & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2000. "Decomposing the cost of Kyoto: a global CGE analysis of multilateral policy impacts," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-11, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp1146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.