North-South Asymmetric Relationships : Does the EMU Business Affect Small African Economies ?
In this paper we empirically investigate a possible transmission of the European business cycle to Sub-Saharan Africa’s economies. This linkage may be of interest because the EMU is the main trading partner of African countries, and many of these countries use the euro as either the official or a de facto anchor in order to keep the exchange rate fixed or stable. After identifying possible theoretical channels of transmission, we test whether the relevant economic variables in Africa are sensitive to the fluctuations of European economic activity. Using either a Euro area GDP series or a Stock and Watson approach in order to build indicators of economic fluctuations to Sub-Saharan Africa despite the appealing theoretical linkages between the two areas. The most important relationship we manage to disentangle is between the European and African monetary policies.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/econEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fiorito, Riccardo & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1994.
"Stylized facts of business cycles in the G7 from a real business cycles perspective,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 235-269, February.
- Fiorito, Riccardo & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1992. "Stylized Facts of Business Cycles in the G7 from a Real Business Cycles Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003.
"Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronization: Are Developing Countries any Different?,"
Research Department Publications
4315, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Stein, Ernesto, 2007. "Trade intensity and business cycle synchronization: Are developing countries any different?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 2-21, March.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Ernesto Stein, 2002. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronization: Are Developing Countries Any Different?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 195, Central Bank of Chile.
- César Calderón & Alberto E. Chong & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronization: Are Developing Countries any Different?," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6501, Inter-American Development Bank.
- James Mitchell & Michael Massmann, 2004.
"Reconsidering the evidence: are Eurozone business cycles converging?,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003
67, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Massmann, Michael & Mitchell, James, 2003. "Reconsidering the evidence: Are Eurozone business cycles converging," ZEI Working Papers B 05-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- William Blankenau & M. Ayhan Kose & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999.
"Can world real interest rates explain business cycles in a small open economy?,"
94, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Blankenau, William & Ayhan Kose, M. & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001. "Can world real interest rates explain business cycles in a small open economy?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 867-889, June.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
- Alexander W. Hoffmaister & Mahmood Pradhan & Hossein Samiei, 1996.
"Have North-South Growth Linkages Changed?,"
IMF Working Papers
96/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Denis Pelletier & Éric Renault, 2003. "Short Run and Long Run Causality in Time Series: Inference," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-61, CIRANO.
- Breitung, Jorg & Candelon, Bertrand, 2006. "Testing for short- and long-run causality: A frequency-domain approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 363-378, June.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Dedola, Luca, 1999. "From the ERM to the euro: new evidence on economic and policy convergence among EU countries," Working Paper Series 0004, European Central Bank.
- Alexander W. Hoffmaister, 1997.
"Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
IMF Working Papers
97/82, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Ayhan Kose and Kei-Mu Yi, 2001. "Can Trade Theory Help Us Understand the Linkages Between International Trade and Business Cycles?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 135, Society for Computational Economics.
- Stock, J.H. & Watson, M.W., 1989.
"New Indexes Of Coincident And Leading Economic Indicators,"
178d, Harvard - J.F. Kennedy School of Government.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1989. "New Indexes of Coincident and Leading Economic Indicators," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1989, Volume 4, pages 351-409 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2001. "Extracting, Using and Analysing Cyclical Information," MPRA Paper 15, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Inklaar, Robert & de Haan, Jakob, 2001. "Is There Really a European Business Cycle? A Comment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(2), pages 215-20, April.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar S. Prasad & Marco E. Terrones, 2003.
"How Does Globalization Affect the Synchronization of Business Cycles?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 57-62, May.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Terrones, Marco E., 2003. "How Does Globalization Affect the Synchronization of Business Cycles?," IZA Discussion Papers 702, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Marco Terrones, 2003. "How Does Globalization Affect the Synchronization of Business Cycles?," IMF Working Papers 03/27, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:rus:hseeco:123092 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michel Galy & Michael T. Hadjimichael, 1997. "The CFA Franc Zone and the EMU," IMF Working Papers 97/156, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Raymond Riezman, 1999.
"Trade Shocks and Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Africa,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
203, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Riezman, Raymond, 2001. "Trade shocks and macroeconomic fluctuations in Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 55-80, June.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Raymond Riezman, 1999. "Trade Shocks and Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Africa," CSGR Working papers series 43/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Mark J. Holmes, 2002. "Exchange rate regimes and economic convergence in the European Union," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 6-20, January.
- Catherine A. Pattillo & Paul R. Masson, 2001.
"Monetary Union in West Africa; An Agency of Restraint for Fiscal Policies,"
IMF Working Papers
01/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Masson & Catherine Pattillo, 2002. "Monetary Union in West Africa: An Agency of Restraint for Fiscal Policies?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 11(3), pages 387-412, September.
- C. John McDermott & Eswar Prasad & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1999.
"Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Developing Countries; Some Stylized Facts,"
IMF Working Papers
99/35, International Monetary Fund.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & McDermott, C John & Prasad, Eswar S, 2000. "Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Developing Countries: Some Stylized Facts," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 251-85, May.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1990. "Business cycles: real facts and a monetary myth," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 3-18.
- Agresti, Anna Maria & Mojon, Benoît, 2001. "Some stylised facts on the euro area business cycle," Working Paper Series 0095, European Central Bank.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2001. "Markov-Switching Procedures for Dating the Euro-Zone Business Cycle," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(3), pages 339-351.
- Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2000. "Implications of the euro for Latin America's financial and banking systems," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 53-81, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvec:2005032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.