The Wealth of Older Americans and the Sub-Prime Debacle The Wealth of Older Americans and the Sub-Prime Debacle
This study explores the consequences of the housing price bubble and its collapse for the wealth of older households. We utilize micro survey data to follow the rise in home values to 2007, observing which households enjoyed home price appreciation and how they responded in terms of equity withdrawal. We then use the SCF survey data on wealth holdings from 2007 in combination with national price indexes to simulate the magnitude and distribution of wealth loss from the 2008-2009 financial crisis. The collapse of the housing market triggered a broad decline of asset prices that greatly reduced the wealth of all households. While older households mitigated their real estate and equity losses with relatively stable fixed-value assets and pension programs, no demographic group was left unscathed. Prior to the financial crisis, our study and others had concluded that the current baby-boom cohort of near retirees were surprisingly well-prepared for retirement compared with similarly aged households over the past quarter century. Unless there is a strong recovery of asset values in the next few years, that favorable assessment is no longer true.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hovey House, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467|
Phone: (617) 552-1762
Fax: (617) 552-0191
Web page: http://crr.bc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David A. Love & Paul A. Smith & Lucy C. McNair, 2008.
"A New Look At The Wealth Adequacy Of Older U.S. Households,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(4), pages 616-642, December.
- David A. Love & Paul A. Smith & Lucy C. McNair, 2008. "A new look at the wealth adequacy of older U.S. households," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2008-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Love & Paul A. Smith & Lucy C. McNair, 2008. "A New Look at the Wealth Adequacy of Older U.S. Households," Department of Economics Working Papers 2008-12, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Todd Sinai & Nicholas S. Souleles, 2003.
"Owner-Occupied Housing as a Hedge Against Rent Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
9462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Todd Sinai & Nicholas S. Souleles, 2005. "Owner-occupied housing as a hedge against rent risk," Working Papers 05-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Sumit Agarwal & John C. Driscoll & David I. Laibson, 2013.
"Optimal Mortgage Refinancing: A Closed‐Form Solution,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(4), pages 591-622, 06.
- Sumit Agarwal & John C. Driscoll & David Laibson, 2007. "Optimal Mortgage Refinancing: A Closed Form Solution," NBER Working Papers 13487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sumit Agarwal & John C Driscoll & David Laibson, 2008. "Optimal Mortgage Refinancing: A Closed Form Solution," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000002021, David K. Levine.
- Buiter, Willem H., 2008.
"Housing Wealth isn't Wealth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6920, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Buiter, Willem H., 2010. "Housing wealth isn't wealth," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 4, pages 1-29.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Misuzu Otsuka & Jirka Slacalek, 2006.
"How Large Is the Housing Wealth Effect? A New Approach,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
535, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Otsuka, Misuzu & Slacalek, Jirka, 2006. "How large is the housing wealth effect? A new approach," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/35, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christopher D. Carroll & Misuzu Otsuka & Jirka Slacalek, 2006. "How Large Is the Housing Wealth Effect? A New Approach," NBER Working Papers 12746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ortalo-Magne, Francois & Rady, Sven, 2002. "Tenure choice and the riskiness of non-housing consumption," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 266-279, September.
- Alan Greenspan & James Kennedy, 2008.
"Sources and uses of equity extracted from homes,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 120-144, spring.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Mauricio Soto, 2008.
"The Housing Bubble and Retirement Security,"
Issues in Brief
ib2008-8-12, Center for Retirement Research, revised Aug 2008.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Mauricio Soto, 2008. "The Housing Bubble and Retirement Security," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2008-13, Center for Retirement Research, revised Aug 2008.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Mauricio Soto, 2006. "What Replacement Rates Do Households Actually Experience In Retirement?," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2005-10, Center for Retirement Research.
- Todd Sinai & Nicholas S. Souleles, 2005. "Owner-Occupied Housing as a Hedge Against Rent Risk," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(2), pages 763-789.
- Dean Baker & David Rosnick, 2009. "The Wealth of the Baby Boom Cohorts After the Collapse of the Housing Bubble," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2009-07, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Alan Greenspan & James E. Kennedy, 2005. "Estimates of home mortgage originations, repayments, and debt on one-to-four-family residences," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-41, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles Calomiris & Stanley D. Longhofer & William Miles, 2009. "The (Mythical?) Housing Wealth Effect," NBER Working Papers 15075, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordan Rappaport, 2007. "A guide to aggregate house price measures," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 41-71.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crr:crrwps:wp2009-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Grzybowski)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.