The effect of the financial crisis on older households in England
Prices of real and financial assets fell substantially in the UK during 2008â€“09. The fourth wave of the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (ELSA) was in the field throughout this â€˜financial crisisâ€™. We use these data and earlier ELSA waves first to document the effect of the crisis on the finances of those aged 50 and over in England, and second, to estimate the effect of wealth shocks on household consumption and individual expectations of the future. Many household experienced a significant wealth shocks, but these shocks led to modest spending effects and small revisions to expectations regarding future bequests. Expectations of bequests seem particularly tied to housing wealth.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://www.ifs.org.ukEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Hurd & Susann Rohwedder, 2010.
"Effects of the Financial Crisis and Great Recession on American Households,"
810, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Michael D. Hurd & Susann Rohwedder, 2010. "Effects of the Financial Crisis and Great Recession on American Households," NBER Working Papers 16407, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric M. Engen & William G. Gale & Cori E. Uccello, 2005.
"Effects Of Stock Market Fluctuations On The Adequacy Of Retirement Wealth Accumulation,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(3), pages 397-418, 09.
- Eric M. Engen & William G. Gale & Cori E. Uccello, 2004. "Effects of Stock Market Fluctuations on the Adequacy of Retirement Wealth Accumulation," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College 2004-16, Center for Retirement Research.
- Gabor Kezdi & Purvi Sevak, 2004. "Economic Adjustment of Recent Retirees to Adverse Wealth Shocks," Working Papers wp075, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Dimitrios Christelis & Dimitris Georgarakos & Tullio Jappelli, 2011.
"Wealth Shocks, Unemployment Shocks and Consumption in the Wake of the Great Recession,"
CSEF Working Papers
279, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 19 Nov 2014.
- Christelis, Dimitris & Georgarakos, Dimitris & Jappelli, Tullio, 2014. "Wealth shocks, unemployment shocks and consumption in the wake of the Great Recession," CFS Working Paper Series 471, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christelis, Dimitris & Georgarakos, Dimitris & Jappelli, Tullio, 2014. "Wealth Shocks, Unemployment Shocks and Consumption in the Wake of the Great Recession," CEPR Discussion Papers 10196, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christelis, Dimitris & Georgarakos, Dimitris & Jappelli, Tullio, 2011. "Wealth shocks, unemployment shocks and consumption in the wake of the Great Recession," CFS Working Paper Series 2011/27, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:ifsewp:12/09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Seavers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.