This paper reviews alternative approaches to measuring an economy's cost competitiveness and proposes some new measures inspired by the economic theory of index numbers. The indices provide a theoretical benchmark for estimated real effective exchange rates, but differ from standard measures in that they are based on marginal rather than average sectoral shares in GDP or employment. The use of the new indices is illustrated by some simple calculations which highlight the potential exposure of the Irish economy to fluctuations in the euro-sterling exchange rate.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlin, Wendy & Glyn, Andrew & Van Reenen, John, 2001.
"Export Market Performance of OECD Countries: An Empirical Examination of the Role of Cost Competitiveness,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(468), pages 128-62, January.
- Wendy Carlin & Andrew Glyn & John Van Reenen, 1999. "Export Market Performance of OECD countries: an empirical examination of the role of cost competitiveness," IFS Working Papers W99/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 1997.
"Non-parametric Engel curves and revealed preferences,"
IFS Working Papers
W97/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard W. Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian A. Crawford, 2003. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 205-240, January.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 1998. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," Discussion Papers 99-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 2002. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," CAM Working Papers 2002-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
NBER Working Papers
4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Scholarly Articles 12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," CEPR Discussion Papers 1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1993.
"A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0173, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lane, P, 1999.
"The New Open Economy Macroeconomics: A Survey,"
Trinity Economics Papers
993, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Barry, F, 1997. "Dangers for Ireland of and EMU without the UK : Some Calibration Results," Papers 97/20, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Jaewoo Lee & Sarma Jayanthi, 2006.
"New Rates from New Weights,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(2), pages 4.
- J. Peter Neary, 2003.
"Competitive versus Comparative Advantage,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 457-470, 04.
- Neary, J Peter, 1987.
"Determinants of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neary, Peter, 1988. "Determinants of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 210-15, March.
- Baker, Terence J. & FitzGerald, John & Honohan, Patrick, 1996. "Economic Implications for Ireland of EMU," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS28.
- Patrick Honohan & Brendan Walsh, 2002. "Catching Up with the Leaders: The Irish Hare," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(1), pages 1-78.
- J. Peter Neary, 1996.
"Rationalising the Penn World Table - True Multilateral Indices for International Comparisons of real Income,"
199622, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J. Peter Neary, 2004. "Rationalizing the Penn World Table: True Multilateral Indices for International Comparisons of Real Income," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1411-1428, December.
- Menzie D. Chinn, 2005.
"A Primer on Real Effective Exchange Rates: Determinants, Overvaluation, Trade Flows and Competitive Devaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
11521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menzie Chinn, 2006. "A Primer on Real Effective Exchange Rates: Determinants, Overvaluation, Trade Flows and Competitive Devaluation," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 115-143, January.
- Neary, J.P. & Thom, D.R., 1996. "Punts, Pounds and Euros: In Search of an Optimum Currency Area," Papers 96/24, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Cassidy, Mark & O'Brien, Derry, 2005. "Export Performance and Competitiveness of the Irish Economy," Quarterly Bulletin Articles, Central Bank of Ireland, pages 75-95, July.
- repec:ucn:oapubs:10197/1596 is not listed on IDEAS
- Valerie Cerra & Jarkko Soikkeli, 2002.
"How Competitive is Irish Manufacturing?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Neary, J Peter, 1985. "International Factor Mobility, Minimum Wage Rates, and Factor-Price Equalization: A Synthesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(3), pages 551-70, August.
- Ian Marsh & Stephen Tokarick, 1996. "An assessment of three measures of competitiveness," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(4), pages 700-722, December.
- Rudolf R. Rhomberg, 1976. "Indices of Effective Exchange Rates (Indices de taux de change effectifs) (Indices de tipos de cambio efectivos)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 88-112, March.
- Walsh, Brendan, 2000. "Cyclical and Structural Influences on Irish Unemployment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 119-45, January.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 2005. "Measuring the Restrictiveness of International Trade Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012200, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5982. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.