This paper reviews alternative approaches to measuring an economy’s cost competitiveness and proposes some new measures inspired by the economic theory of index numbers. The indices provide a theoretical benchmark for estimated real effective exchange rates, but differ from standard measures in that they are based on marginal rather than average sectoral shares in GDP or employment. The use of the new indices is illustrated by some simple calculations which highlight the potential exposure of the Irish economy to fluctuations in the euro-sterling exchange rate.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Scholarly Articles 12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Baker, Terence J. & FitzGerald, John & Honohan, Patrick, 1996. "Economic Implications for Ireland of EMU," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS28.
- J Peter Neary, 2002.
"Competitive versus Comparative Advantage,"
200219, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Neary, J Peter, 1985. "International Factor Mobility, Minimum Wage Rates, and Factor-Price Equalization: A Synthesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(3), pages 551-70, August.
- Richard W. Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian A. Crawford, 2003.
"Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 205-240, January.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 1998. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," Discussion Papers 99-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 1997. "Non-parametric Engel curves and revealed preferences," IFS Working Papers W97/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 2002. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," CAM Working Papers 2002-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Walsh, Brendan, 2000. "Cyclical and Structural Influences on Irish Unemployment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 119-45, January.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005.
"New Rates From New Weights,"
IMF Working Papers
05/99, International Monetary Fund.
- Valerie Cerra & Jarkko Soikkeli, 2002.
"How Competitive is Irish Manufacturing?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Anderson, James E. & Neary, J. Peter, 1992.
"A new approach to evaluating trade policy,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1022, The World Bank.
- Patrick Honohan & Brendan Walsh, 2002. "Catching Up with the Leaders: The Irish Hare," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(1), pages 1-78.
- Lane, Philip R., 1999.
"The New Open Economy Macroeconomics: a Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2115, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Menzie D. Chinn, 2005.
"A Primer on Real Effective Exchange Rates: Determinants, Overvaluation, Trade Flows and Competitive Devaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
11521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menzie Chinn, 2006. "A Primer on Real Effective Exchange Rates: Determinants, Overvaluation, Trade Flows and Competitive Devaluation," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 115-143, January.
- Carlin, Wendy & Glyn, Andrew & Van Reenen, John, 2001.
"Export Market Performance of OECD Countries: An Empirical Examination of the Role of Cost Competitiveness,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(468), pages 128-62, January.
- Wendy Carlin & Andrew Glyn & John Van Reenen, 1999. "Export Market Performance of OECD countries: an empirical examination of the role of cost competitiveness," IFS Working Papers W99/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Neary, J.P. & Thom, D.R., 1996. "Punts, Pounds and Euros: In Search of an Optimum Currency Area," Papers 96/24, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- J. Peter Neary, 2004.
"Rationalizing the Penn World Table: True Multilateral Indices for International Comparisons of Real Income,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1411-1428, December.
- J. Peter Neary, 1996. "Rationalising the Penn World Table - True Multilateral Indices for International Comparisons of real Income," Working Papers 199622, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Neary, Peter, 1988.
"Determinants of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 210-15, March.
- Neary, J Peter, 1987. "Determinants of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rudolf R. Rhomberg, 1976. "Indices of Effective Exchange Rates (Indices de taux de change effectifs) (Indices de tipos de cambio efectivos)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 88-112, March.
- Barry, F, 1997. "Dangers for Ireland of and EMU without the UK : Some Calibration Results," Papers 97/20, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Ian Marsh & Stephen Tokarick, 1996. "An assessment of three measures of competitiveness," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(4), pages 700-722, December.
- Cassidy, Mark & O'Brien, Derry, 2005. "Export Performance and Competitiveness of the Irish Economy," Quarterly Bulletin Articles, Central Bank of Ireland, pages 75-95, July.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 2005. "Measuring the Restrictiveness of International Trade Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012200, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:37:y:2006:i:2:p:197-213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.