Measuring External Competitiveness:An Overview
The analysis of a country's competitiveness is of great interest to policy makers. Measuring the competitiveness of a country generally requires an assessment of the overall dynamism of the economy, including productivity and GDP growth, as well as the performance of exporting firms in the global market place. The focus of this paper is to outline the methodology commonly used to determine the state of a country's external performance, both the level and trend, and the factors which have contributed to recent developments. The literature shows that while macroeconomic indicators are essential to provide a broad picture of trends, they should be supplemented with an analysis using microeconomic data. We report on recent work analyzing Italy's external competitiveness which highlights some negative trends, including a loss of export market share, but also shows that there are some positive developments in terms of quality upgrading and firm restructuring. Finally, some preliminary estimates of the potential impact of the recent crisis on external competitiveness are presented using methods of multivariate analysis.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ca' Zorzi, Michele & Schnatz, Bernd, 2007. "Explaining and forecasting euro area exports: which competitiveness indicator performs best?," Working Paper Series 0833, European Central Bank.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2010.
"The Euro and Firm Restructuring,"
in: Europe and the Euro, pages 99-138
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2008. "The Euro and Firm Restructuring," NBER Working Papers 14454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bugamelli, Matteo & Schivardi, Fabiano & Zizza, Roberta, 2010. "The Euro and Firm Restructuring," CEPR Discussion Papers 7623, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2010. "The euro and Firm Restructuring," Working Papers CELEG 1001, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, "undated". "The euro and firm restructuring," Working Papers 10, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2009. "The euro and firm restructuring," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 716, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Srholec, Martin & Knell, Mark, 2007. "The Competitiveness of Nations: Why Some Countries Prosper While Others Fall Behind," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1595-1620, October.
- Anita Wölfl & Isabelle Wanner & Tomasz Koźluk & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2009. "Ten Years of Product Market Reform in OECD Countries: Insights from a Revised PMR Indicator," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 695, OECD Publishing.
- Castellani Davide & Giovannetti Giorgia, 2008. "Productivity and the international firm: the role of managerial and organizational competences," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 385-404.
- Filippo di Mauro & Katrin Forster, 2008.
"Globalisation and the competitiveness of the euro area,"
Occasional Paper Series
97, European Central Bank.
- Filippo Di Mauro & Katrin Forster, "undated". "Globalisation and the competitiveness of the Euro area," Working Papers 5, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Zemanek, Holger & Belke, Ansgar & Schnabl, Gunther, 2009.
"Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness,"
IZA Policy Papers
7, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2009. "Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness," CESifo Working Paper Series 2639, CESifo Group Munich.
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2009. "Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 895, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Sergio de Nardis & Carmine Pappalardo, 2009. "Export, Productivity and Product Switching: The Case of Italian Manufacturing Firms," ISAE Working Papers 110, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Furceri, Davide & Mourougane, Annabelle, 2012.
"The effect of financial crises on potential output: New empirical evidence from OECD countries,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 822-832.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009. "The Effect of Financial Crises on Potential Output: New Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 699, OECD Publishing.
- Michele Di Maio & Federico Tamagni, 2006.
"The evolution of world trade and the Italian â€˜anomaly': a new look,"
39-2006, Macerata University, Department of Finance and Economic Sciences, revised Oct 2008.
- Michele Di Maio & Federico Tamagni, 2008. "The Evolution of World Export Sophistication and the Italian Trade Anomaly," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 98(1), pages 135-174, January-F.
- Michele Di Maio & Federico Tamagni, 2007. "The Evolution of the World Trade and the Italian ‘Anomaly’: A New Look," Development Working Papers 227, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Calabrese Giuseppe & Vitali Giampaolo, 2007. "Firm Size, Industrial Specialization and International Competitiveness: A Balance Sheet Analysis on European Firms," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 135-162.
- Jay Squalli & Kenneth Wilson & Sarah Hugo, 2008. "An analysis of growth competitiveness," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 105-126.
- Bogdan Lissovolik & Julio Escolano & Stefania Fabrizio & Werner Schule & Herman Z Bennett & Stephen Tokarick & Yuan Xiao & Marialuz Moreno Badia & Eva Gutierrez & Iryna V. Ivaschenko, 2008. "Competitiveness in the Southern Euro Area; France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, and Spain," IMF Working Papers 08/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Subir Lall & Roberto Cardarelli & Selim Elekdag, 2009. "Financial Stress, Downturns, and Recoveries," IMF Working Papers 09/100, International Monetary Fund.
- Matteo Bugamelli, 2007. "Prezzi delle esportazioni, qualità dei prodotti e caratteristiche di impresa: un'analisi su un campione di imprese italiane," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(3), pages 71-103.
- J. Peter Neary, 2005.
200521, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- K V Bhanu Murthy, 2004. "Arguing A Case For The Cobb-Douglas Production Function," Econometrics 0409012, EconWPA.
- Herman Z Bennett & Ziga Zarnic, 2009.
"International Competitiveness of the Mediterranean Quartet: A Heterogeneous-Product Approach,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(4), pages 919-957, November.
- Herman Z Bennett & Ziga Zarnic, 2008. "International Competitiveness of the Mediterranean Quartet; A Heterogeneous-Product Approach," IMF Working Papers 08/240, International Monetary Fund.
- Hoggarth, Glenn & Reis, Ricardo & Saporta, Victoria, 2002.
"Costs of banking system instability: Some empirical evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 825-855, May.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Ricardo Reis & Victoria Saporta, 2001. "Costs of banking system instability: some empirical evidence," Bank of England working papers 144, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:itt:wpaper:wp2010-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michele Petrocelli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.