Measuring External Competitiveness:An Overview
The analysis of a country's competitiveness is of great interest to policy makers. Measuring the competitiveness of a country generally requires an assessment of the overall dynamism of the economy, including productivity and GDP growth, as well as the performance of exporting firms in the global market place. The focus of this paper is to outline the methodology commonly used to determine the state of a country's external performance, both the level and trend, and the factors which have contributed to recent developments. The literature shows that while macroeconomic indicators are essential to provide a broad picture of trends, they should be supplemented with an analysis using microeconomic data. We report on recent work analyzing Italy's external competitiveness which highlights some negative trends, including a loss of export market share, but also shows that there are some positive developments in terms of quality upgrading and firm restructuring. Finally, some preliminary estimates of the potential impact of the recent crisis on external competitiveness are presented using methods of multivariate analysis.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dt.tesoro.it|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009.
"The Effect of Financial Crises on Potential Output: New Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
699, OECD Publishing.
- Furceri, Davide & Mourougane, Annabelle, 2012. "The effect of financial crises on potential output: New empirical evidence from OECD countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 822-832.
- J. Peter Neary, 2006.
IMF Working Papers
06/209, International Monetary Fund.
- Sergio de Nardis & Carmine Pappalardo, 2009. "Export, Productivity and Product Switching: The Case of Italian Manufacturing Firms," ISAE Working Papers 110, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Matteo Bugamelli, 2007. "Prezzi delle esportazioni, qualità dei prodotti e caratteristiche di impresa: un'analisi su un campione di imprese italiane," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(3), pages 71-103.
- Subir Lall & Roberto Cardarelli & Selim Elekdag, 2009. "Financial Stress, Downturns, and Recoveries," IMF Working Papers 09/100, International Monetary Fund.
- Michele Di Maio & Federico Tamagni, 2006.
"The evolution of world trade and the Italian â€˜anomaly': a new look,"
39-2006, Macerata University, Department of Finance and Economic Sciences, revised Oct 2008.
- Michele Di Maio & Federico Tamagni, 2008. "The Evolution of World Export Sophistication and the Italian Trade Anomaly," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 98(1), pages 135-174, January-F.
- Michele Di Maio & Federico Tamagni, 2007. "The Evolution of the World Trade and the Italian ‘Anomaly’: A New Look," Development Working Papers 227, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Hoggarth, Glenn & Reis, Ricardo & Saporta, Victoria, 2002.
"Costs of banking system instability: Some empirical evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 825-855, May.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Ricardo Reis & Victoria Saporta, 2001. "Costs of banking system instability: some empirical evidence," Bank of England working papers 144, Bank of England.
- Bogdan Lissovolik & Julio Escolano & Stefania Fabrizio & Werner Schule & Herman Z. Bennett & Stephen Tokarick & Yuan Xiao & Marialuz Moreno Badia & Eva Gutierrez & Iryna V. Ivaschenko, 2008. "Competitiveness in the Southern Euro Area: France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, and Spain," IMF Working Papers 08/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Bugamelli, Matteo & Schivardi, Fabiano & Zizza, Roberta, 2010.
"The Euro and Firm Restructuring,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7623, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2008. "The Euro and Firm Restructuring," NBER Working Papers 14454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, . "The euro and firm restructuring," Working Papers 10, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2010. "The euro and Firm Restructuring," Working Papers CELEG 1001, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2009. "The euro and firm restructuring," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 716, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Herman Z Bennett & Ziga Zarnic, 2009.
"International Competitiveness of the Mediterranean Quartet: A Heterogeneous-Product Approach,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(4), pages 919-957, November.
- Herman Z. Bennett & Ziga Zarnic, 2008. "International Competitiveness of the Mediterranean Quartet: A Heterogeneous-Product Approach," IMF Working Papers 08/240, International Monetary Fund.
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2009.
"Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
895, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Zemanek, Holger & Belke, Ansgar & Schnabl, Gunther, 2009. "Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness," IZA Policy Papers 7, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2009. "Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness," CESifo Working Paper Series 2639, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Srholec, Martin & Knell, Mark, 2007. "The Competitiveness of Nations: Why Some Countries Prosper While Others Fall Behind," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1595-1620, October.
- Calabrese Giuseppe & Vitali Giampaolo, 2007. "Firm Size, Industrial Specialization and International Competitiveness: A Balance Sheet Analysis on European Firms," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 135-162.
- Filippo di Mauro & Katrin Forster, 2008.
"Globalisation and the competitiveness of the euro area,"
Occasional Paper Series
97, European Central Bank.
- Filippo Di Mauro & Katrin Forster, . "Globalisation and the competitiveness of the Euro area," Working Papers 5, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- K V Bhanu Murthy, 2004. "Arguing A Case For The Cobb-Douglas Production Function," Econometrics 0409012, EconWPA.
- Ca' Zorzi, Michele & Schnatz, Bernd, 2007. "Explaining and forecasting euro area exports: which competitiveness indicator performs best?," Working Paper Series 0833, European Central Bank.
- Jay Squalli & Kenneth Wilson & Sarah Hugo, 2008. "An analysis of growth competitiveness," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 105-126.
- Anita Wölfl & Isabelle Wanner & Tomasz Koźluk & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2009. "Ten Years of Product Market Reform in OECD Countries: Insights from a Revised PMR Indicator," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 695, OECD Publishing.
- Castellani Davide & Giovannetti Giorgia, 2008. "Productivity and the international firm: the role of managerial and organizational competences," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 385-404.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:itt:wpaper:wp2010-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michele Petrocelli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.