Revisiting economic growth in Colombia. A microeconomic perspective
This paper revisits economic growth in Colombia using the growth diagnostics methodology proposed by Hausmann, Rodrik and Velasco (2005), with the purpose of identifying the most binding constraints for economic growth and the policies that, if implemented, can have the largest positive impact. To rank public policy priorities the HRV (2005) methodological approach is complemented with an econometric analysis of micro-data, aimed at exploring the impact that the various potential constraints to growth have had on firm-level investment decisions. The data shows economic reactivation in areas with falling violence. Results from analysis at the microeconomic level, however, give a particular spin to this conclusion by showing that investment decisions at the firm level are also explained by the restoration of some form of public order connected to the cessation of paramilitary violence and not only by the reduction of violence. From a public policy perspective, perhaps the most relevant result is the confirmation that in Colombia investment decisions are negatively affected by thecost of financing. Empirical results, robust across model specifications, single out the provision of access to financing at fair prices as a policy priority for economic growth, relevant across country regions and independent of whether uncertainties from poor protection to property rights are resolved.
|Date of creation:||30 Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dijkstra, Geske & Hermes, Niels, 2001. "The Uncertainty of Debt Service Payments and Economic Growth of HIPCs: Is there a Case for Debt Relief?," WIDER Working Paper Series 122, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mary Morrison & Marianne Fay, 2005. "Infrastructure in Latin America : Recent Developments and Key Challenges, Volume 1," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8801, The World Bank.
- Marcela Meléndez Arjona & Arturo Harker Roa, 2008.
"Revisiting economic growth in Colombia. A microeconomic perspective,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
- Arturo Harker & Marcela Melendez, 2008. "Revisiting Economic Growth in Colombia: A Microeconomic Perspective," Research Department Publications 2006, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Marcela Meléndez Arjona & Arturo Harker, 2008. "Revisiting Economic Growth in Colombia: A Microeconomic Perspective," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 45218, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Dany Jaimovich & Ugo Panizza, 2010. "Public debt around the world: a new data set of central government debt," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 19-24, January.
- Dany Jaimovich & Ugo Panizza, 2006. "Public Debt around the World: A New Dataset of Central Government Debt," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6710, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Dany Jaimovich & Ugo Panizza, 2006. "Public Debt around the World: A New Dataset of Central Government Debt," Research Department Publications 4461, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Toan Quoc Nguyen & Benedict J. Clements & Rina Bhattacharya, 2003. "External Debt, Public Investment, and Growth in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 03/249, International Monetary Fund.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007. "Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, Enero.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007. "Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, January.
- Mauricio CARDENAS SANTAMARIA, 2002. "Economic growth in Colombia: A reversal of Fortune," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002402, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Eduardo Lora, 2009. "La Vulnerabilidad Fiscal del Gasto Social: ¿Es diferente América Latina?," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 24(1), pages 3-20, Junio.
- Eduardo Lora, 2007. "La Vulnerabilidad Fiscal del Gasto Social: ¿Es Diferente América Latina?," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 7649, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Lora, 2007. "La vulnerabilidad fiscal del gasto social: ¿Es Diferente América Latina?," Research Department Publications 4506, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Moreno-Dodson, Blanca, 2006. "Public infrastructure and growth : new channels and policy implications," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4064, The World Bank.
- Lora, Eduardo & Olivera, Mauricio, 2007. "Public debt and social expenditure: Friends or foes?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 299-310, December.
- Eduardo Lora & Mauricio Olivera, 2006. "Public Debt and Social Expenditure: Friends or Foes?," Research Department Publications 4465, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Mahdavi, Saeid, 2004. "Shifts in the Composition of Government Spending in Response to External Debt Burden," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1139-1157, July.
- Helene Poirson Ward & Luca A Ricci & Catherine A Pattillo, 2004. "What Are the Channels Through Which External Debt Affects Growth?," IMF Working Papers 04/15, International Monetary Fund.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Bailey Klinger, 2008. "Growth Diagnostic: Peru," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 44998, Inter-American Development Bank.