Economic development and growth in Colombia: An empirical analysis with super-efficiency DEA and panel data models
In this paper, we analyse economic development and growth through traditional measures (gross domestic product and human development index) and Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) in Colombian departments over the period 1993-2007. We use a DEA model to measure and rank economic development and growth from different approaches such as poverty, equality and security. The results show considerable variation in efficiency scores across departments. A second-stage panel data analysis with fixed effects reveals that higher levels of economic activity, quality life, employment and security are associated with a higher efficiency score based on the standards of living, poverty, equality and security. All findings of this analysis should demonstrate that economic development and growth could be achieved most effectively through a decrease in poverty, an increase in equality, a reduction in violence, and improved security. This indicates the need to generate effective policies that guarantee the achievement of these elements in the interest of all members of society.
|Date of creation:||27 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Grimm, Kenneth Harttgen, Stephan Klasen, and Mark Misselhorn, 2006.
"A Human Development Index by Income Groups,"
Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007)
HDOCPA-2006-07, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Misselhorn, Mark & Klasen, Stephan & Harttgen, Kenneth & Grimm, Michael, 2007. "A Human Development Index by Income Groups," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 12, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Michael Grimm & Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen & Mark Misselhorn, 2007. "A Human Development Index by Income Groups," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 155, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- R. W. Fogel & L. T. Wimmer, 1992.
"Early Indicators of Later Work Levels, Disease, and Death,"
CPE working papers
0008, University of Chicago - Centre for Population Economics.
- Robert W. Fogel & Larry T. Wimmer, 1992. "Early Indicators of Later Work Levels, Disease, and Death," NBER Historical Working Papers 0038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Cotte Poveda, 2011.
"Socio-Economic Development and Violence: An Empirical Application for Seven Metropolitan Areas in Colombia,"
SERIE DE DOCUMENTOS EN ECONOMÍA Y VIOLENCIA
008979, CENTRO DE INVESTIGACIONES EN VIOLENCIA, INSTITUCIONES Y DESARROLLO ECONÓMICO (VIDE).
- Cotte Poveda Alexander, 2011. "Socio-Economic Development and Violence: An Empirical Application for Seven Metropolitan Areas in Colombia," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 17(1), pages 1-23, September.
- Marcela Meléndez Arjona & Arturo Harker, 2008.
"Revisiting Economic Growth in Colombia: A Microeconomic Perspective,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
45218, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Marcela Meléndez Arjona & Arturo Harker Roa, 2008. "Revisiting economic growth in Colombia. A microeconomic perspective," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 009137, FEDESARROLLO.
- Arturo Harker & Marcela Melendez, 2008. "Revisiting Economic Growth in Colombia: A Microeconomic Perspective," Research Department Publications 2006, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Michael Boozer & Gustav Ranis & Frances Stewart & Tavneet Suri, 2003.
"Paths to Success: The Relationship Between Human Development and Economic Growth,"
874, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Suri, Tavneet & Boozer, Michael A. & Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances, 2011. "Paths to Success: The Relationship Between Human Development and Economic Growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 506-522, April.
- Enrico Colombatto, 2006. "On Economic Growth and Development," CAE Working Papers 38, Aix-Marseille Université, CERGAM.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Raab, Raymond L. & Feroz, Ehsan Habib, 2007. "A productivity growth accounting approach to the ranking of developing and developed nations," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 396-415, December.
- Despotis, D.K., 2005. "Measuring human development via data envelopment analysis: the case of Asia and the Pacific," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 385-390, October.
- Abadie, Alberto & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2001.
"The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case-Control Study for the Basque Country,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-048, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Alberto Abadie & Javier Gardeazabal, 2001. "The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case-Control Study for the Basque Country," NBER Working Papers 8478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Despotis, Dimitris K. & Stamati, Lamprini V. & Smirlis, Yiannis G., 2010. "Data envelopment analysis with nonlinear virtual inputs and outputs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 604-613, April.
- Alejandro Ramirez & Gustav Ranis & Frances Stewart, .
"Economic Growth and Human Development -,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps18, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Ponton, Adriana, 1995. "Growth and convergence in Colombia: 1950-1990," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 5-37, June.
- Miki Malul & Yossi Hadad & Avner Ben-Yair, 2009. "Measuring and ranking of economic, environmental and social efficiency of countries," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(8), pages 832-843, June.
- Helliwell, John F., 2003.
"How's life? Combining individual and national variables to explain subjective well-being,"
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 331-360, March.
- John F. Helliwell, 2002. "How's Life? Combining Individual and National Variables to Explain Subjective Well-Being," NBER Working Papers 9065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Collier, Paul & Dollar, David, 1999.
"Aid allocation and poverty reduction,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2041, The World Bank.
- Wayne Nafziger, E. & Auvinen, Juha, 2002. "Economic Development, Inequality, War, and State Violence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 153-163, February.
- Christopher F Baum, 2001. "Residual diagnostics for cross-section time series regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 1(1), pages 101-104, November.
- Torres, Magui Moreno & Anderson, Michael, 2004. "Fragile States: Defining Difficult Environments For Poverty Reduction," PRDE Working Papers 12822, Department for International Development (DFID) (UK).
- Alexander Cotte Poveda, 2012. "Estimating Effectiveness of the Control of Violence and Socioeconomic Development in Colombia: An Application of Dynamic Data Envelopment Analysis and Data Panel Approach," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 105(3), pages 343-366, February.
- E. Colombatto, 2006. "On economic growth and development," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 243-260, December.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004.
"General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1229, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004. "‘General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels’," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0435, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Daniel Hoechle, 2007. "Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(3), pages 281-312, September.
- Fajnzylber, Pablo & Lederman, Daniel & Loayza, Norman, 2002. "What causes violent crime?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(7), pages 1323-1357, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- World Bank & United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, 2007. "Crime, Violence, and Development : Trends, Costs, and Policy Options in the Caribbean," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7687, The World Bank.
- אסתר טולידנו, 1998. "מקבלי דמי אבטלה, 1997," Working Papers 415, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Andrea Bassanini & Stefano Scarpetta, 2001.
"The Driving Forces of Economic Growth: Panel Data Evidence for the OECD Countries,"
OECD Economic Studies,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(2), pages 9-56.
- Andrea Bassanini & Stefano Scarpetta, 2001. "The Driving Forces of Economic Growth: Panel Data Evidence for the OECD Countries," Post-Print halshs-00168383, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000137:009080. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexander Cotte Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.