Macroeconomic Effects of Fiscal Policy in the Czech Republic: Evidence Based on Various Identification Approaches in a VAR Framework
The paper analyzes the macroeconomic effects of fiscal policy shocks in the Czech Republic. The low number of observations available for fiscal variables significantly affects the setup of the analysis. Firstly, a small-scale VAR is considered. Secondly, the model is estimated using Bayesian techniques. Finally, all identification approaches that are currently employed by the literature and that are applicable to the Czech Republic are used. The estimation results suggest that the fiscal policy transmission mechanism in the Czech Republic exhibits some standard features (e.g., a rise in GDP and inflation after unexpected government spending, and an increase in government spending after a positive shock to government revenues). However, the uncertainty associated with the results is substantial. Furthermore, it is discussed how the identification strategy itself may represent an additional source of uncertainty of the results.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1|
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koop, Gary & Korobilis, Dimitris, 2009.
"Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics,"
20125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koop, Gary & Korobilis, Dimitris, 2010. "Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 3(4), pages 267-358, July.
- Gary Koop & Dimitris Korobilis, 2009. "Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics," Working Paper Series 47_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Wolff, Guntram B. & Tenhofen, Jörn & Heppke-Falk, Kirsten H., 2006.
"The macroeconomic effects of exogenous fiscal policy shocks in Germany: a disaggregated SVAR analysis,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,41, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Tenhofen Jörn & Wolff Guntram B. & Heppke-Falk Kirsten H., 2010. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Exogenous Fiscal Policy Shocks in Germany: A Disaggregated SVAR Analysis," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 230(3), pages 328-355, June.
- Renée Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2011.
"Sign Restrictions in Structural Vector Autoregressions: A Critical Review,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 938-960, December.
- Renee Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2010. "Sign Restrictions in Structural Vector Autoregressions: A Critical Review," NCER Working Paper Series 57, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Renee Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2010. "Sign Restrictions in Structural Vector Autoregressions: A Critical Review," CAMA Working Papers 2010-22, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Domenico Giannone & Michele Lenza & Giorgio E. Primiceri, 2015.
"Prior Selection for Vector Autoregressions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 97(2), pages 436-451, May.
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Giorgio E. Primiceri, 2012. "Prior Selection for Vector Autoregressions," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2012-002, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Primiceri, Giorgio E, 2012. "Prior Selection for Vector Autoregressions," CEPR Discussion Papers 8755, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Primiceri, Giorgio E., 2012. "Prior selection for vector autoregressions," Working Paper Series 1494, European Central Bank.
- Domenico Giannone & Michele Lenza & Giorgio E. Primiceri, 2012. "Prior Selection for Vector Autoregressions," NBER Working Papers 18467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Snudden & Vladimir Klyuev, 2011.
"Effects of Fiscal Consolidation in the Czech Republic,"
IMF Working Papers
- Vladimir Klyuev & Stephen Snudden, 2011. "Effects of Fiscal Consolidation in the Czech Republic," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 61(4), pages 306-326, August.
- Fabio Canova & Evi Pappa, 2007.
"Price Differentials in Monetary Unions: The Role of Fiscal Shocks,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(520), pages 713-737, 04.
- Fabio Canova & Evi Pappa, 2003. "Price differentials in monetary unions: The role of fiscal shocks," Economics Working Papers 923, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2005.
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 2002.
"An Empirical Characterization of the Dynamic Effects of Changes in Government Spending and Taxes on Output,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1329-1368.
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 1999. "An Empirical Characterization of the Dynamic Effects of Changes in Government Spending and Taxes on Output," NBER Working Papers 7269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raffaela Giordano & Sandro Momigliano & Stefano Neri & Roberto Perotti, 2008.
"The effetcs of fiscal policy in Italy: Evidence from a VAR model,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
656, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Giordano, Raffaela & Momigliano, Sandro & Neri, Stefano & Perotti, Roberto, 2007. "The effects of fiscal policy in Italy: Evidence from a VAR model," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 707-733, September.
- Vladimir Bezdek & Kamil Dybczak & Ales Krejdl, 2003. "Czech Fiscal Policy: Introductory Analysis," Working Papers 2003/07, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- de Castro, Francisco & Hernández de Cos, Pablo, 2008. "The economic effects of fiscal policy: The case of Spain," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1005-1028, September.
- Kadiyala, K Rao & Karlsson, Sune, 1997.
"Numerical Methods for Estimation and Inference in Bayesian VAR-Models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 99-132, March-Apr.
- Kadiyala, K. Rao & Karlsson, Sune, 1994. "Numerical Aspects of Bayesian VAR-modeling," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 12, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Caldara, Dario & Kamps, Christophe, 2008. "What are the effects of fiscal policy shocks? A VAR-based comparative analysis," Working Paper Series 0877, European Central Bank.
- Andrew Mountford & Harald Uhlig, 2009.
"What are the effects of fiscal policy shocks?,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(6), pages 960-992.
- Mountford, A.W. & Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 2002. "What are the Effects of Fiscal Policy Shocks?," Discussion Paper 2002-31, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Mountford and Uhlig JAE 2009 sign-constrained VAR," Statistical Software Components RTZ00121, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrew Mountford & Harald Uhlig, 2008. "What are the Effects of Fiscal Policy Shocks?," NBER Working Papers 14551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Mountford & Harald Uhlig, 2005. "What are the Effects of Fiscal Policy Shocks?," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2005-039, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Mountford, Andrew & Uhlig, Harald, 2002. "What are the Effects of Fiscal Policy Shocks?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Fisher, Jonas D. M., 2004.
"Fiscal shocks and their consequences,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 89-117, March.
- Rajmund MIRDALA, 2009.
"Effects Of Fiscal Policy Shocks In The European Transition Economies,"
Journal of Applied Research in Finance Bi-Annually,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 141-157, December.
- Mirdala, Rajmund, 2009. "Effects of Fiscal Policy Shocks in the European Transition Economies," MPRA Paper 19481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cnb:wpaper:2012/13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.