The Impact of migration on rural poverty and inequality: a case study in China
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Guanghua Wan & Zhangyue Zhou, 2005.
"Income Inequality in Rural China: Regression-based Decomposition Using Household Data,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 107-120, February.
- Wan, Guanghua & Zhou, Zhangyue, 2004. "Income Inequality in Rural China: Regression-based Decomposition Using Household Data," WIDER Working Paper Series 051, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Du, Yang & Park, Albert & Wang, Sangui, 2005. "Migration and rural poverty in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 688-709, December.
- Escobal, Javier, 2001. "The Determinants of Nonfarm Income Diversification in Rural Peru," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 497-508, March.
- Rodriguez, Edgard R, 1998. "International Migration and Income Distribution in the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 329-350, January.
- Xiaobo Zhang & Kevin Honglin Zhang, 2002. "Regional Inequality," Chapters, in: Shang-Jin Wei & Guanzhong James Wen & Huizhong Zhou (ed.), The Globalization of the Chinese Economy, chapter 8, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Duangkamon Chotikapanich & D. S. Prasada Rao & Kam Ki Tang, 2007.
"Estimating Income Inequality In China Using Grouped Data And The Generalized Beta Distribution,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(1), pages 127-147, March.
- Chotikapanich, Duangkamon & Prasada Rao, D.S. & Tang, KamKi, 2006. "Estimating Income Inequality in China Using Grouped Data and the Generalized Beta Distribution," WIDER Working Paper Series 134, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Knight, John & Song, Lina, 1993.
"The Spatial Contribution to Income Inequality in Rural China,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 195-213, June.
- Knight, J. & Song, L., 1990. "The Spatial Contribution To Income Inequality In Rural China," Economics Series Working Papers 99106, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Zhang, Yin & Wan, Guanghua, 2006.
"The impact of growth and inequality on rural poverty in China,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 694-712, December.
- Zhang, Yin & Wan, Guanghua, 2006. "The Impacts of Growth and Inequality on Rural Poverty in China," WIDER Working Paper Series 094, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Paçacı Elitok, Seçil & Straubhaar, Thomas, 2012. "Introduction," Edition HWWI: Chapters, in: Paçacı Elitok, Seçil & Straubhaar, Thomas (ed.), Turkey, migration and the EU, volume 5, pages 11-17, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Zhu, Nong, 2005.
"The Role of Non-Farm Incomes in Reducing Rural Poverty and Inequality in China,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt7ts2z766, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Zhu, Nong, 2005. "The Role of Non-Farm Incomes in Reducing Rural Poverty and Inequality in China," CUDARE Working Papers 25043, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Mckenzie, David & Rapoport, Hillel, 2007.
"Network effects and the dynamics of migration and inequality: Theory and evidence from Mexico,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-24, September.
- David Mckenzie & Hillel Rapoport, 2004. "Network Effects and the Dynamics of Migration and Inequality: Theory and Evidence from Mexico," Working Papers 2004-3, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Taylor, J. Edward, 1992.
"Remittances and inequality reconsidered: Direct, indirect, and intertemporal effects,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 187-208, April.
- Taylor, J. Edward, 1991. "Remittances And Inequality Reconsidered; Direct, Indirect, And Intertemporal Effects," Working Papers 225864, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Shujie Yao, 1999. "Economic growth, income inequality and poverty in china under economic reforms," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 104-130.
- Stark, Oded & Taylor, J. Edward & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1988. "Migration, remittances and inequality : A sensitivity analysis using the extended Gini index," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 309-322, May.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1999.
"Envois de fonds, inégalité et pauvreté au Burkina Faso,"
Revue Tiers Monde,
Programme National Persée, vol. 40(160), pages 793-827.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1999. "Envoi de fonds, inégalité et pauvreté au Burkina Faso," Documents de travail 40, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Yaohui Zhao, 1999. "Leaving the Countryside: Rural-to-Urban Migration Decisions in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 281-286, May.
- McMillan, John & Whalley, John & Zhu, Lijing, 1989. "The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 781-807, August.
- Zhu, Ling & Jiang, Zhongyi, 1993. "From Brigade to Village Community: The Land Tenure System and Rural Development in China," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 441-461, December.
- Barham, Bradford & Boucher, Stephen, 1998. "Migration, remittances, and inequality: estimating the net effects of migration on income distribution," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 307-331, April.
- Islam, Nurul, 1997. "The nonfarm sector and rural development: review of issues and evidence," 2020 vision discussion papers 22, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Wan, Guanghua, 2004. "Accounting for income inequality in rural China: a regression-based approach," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 348-363, June.
- Oded Stark, 1991. "The Migration of Labor," Blackwell Books, Wiley Blackwell, number 1557860300, September.
- Graham Pyatt & Chau-nan Chen & John Fei, 1980. "The Distribution of Income by Factor Components," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(3), pages 451-473.
More about this item
KeywordsMigration; poverty; inequality; China;
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- O15 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2014-04-18 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2014-04-18 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-TRA-2014-04-18 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cir:cirwor:2014s-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ciranca.html .