The nonfarm sector and rural development: review of issues and evidence
In most developing countries, the rural labor force is growing rapidly, but rural employment opportunities are dwindling. This paper brings together empirical evidence on the nonfarm sector and analyzes policies for its future development. It examines the linkages between the farm and nonfarm sectors and between the nonfarm sector and urban enterprises, and considers ways the government can promote rural employment.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hazell, Peter B. & Haggblade, Steven, 1990. "Rural - urban growth linkages in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 430, The World Bank.
- Hazell, Peter B R & Hojjati, Behjat, 1995. "Farm/Non-farm Growth Linkages in Zambia," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 4(3), pages 406-35, December.
- Vijverberg, Wim P. M., 1995. "Returns to schooling in non-farm self-employment: An econometric case study of Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1215-1227, July.
- McPherson, Michael A., 1996. "Growth of micro and small enterprises in southern Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 253-277, March.
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Hojjati, Behjat, 1995. "Farm-nonfarm growth linkages in Zambia:," EPTD discussion papers 8, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Park, Albert & Johnston, Bruce, 1995. "Rural Development and Dynamic Externalities in Taiwan's Structural Transformation," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 180-208, October.
- Gary H. Jefferson & Thomas G. Rawski, 1994. "Enterprise Reform in Chinese Industry," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 47-70, Spring.
- Ahmed, Raisuddin & Hossain, Mahabub, 1990. "Developmental impact of rural infrastructure in Bangladesh:," Research reports 83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Pernia, Ernesto M. & Pernia, Joseph M., 1986. "An economic and social impact analysis of small industry promotion: A Philippine experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 637-651, May.
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Roell, Ailsa, 1983. "Rural growth linkages: household expenditure patterns in Malaysia and Nigeria," Research reports 41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Haroon Jamal, 1995. "Explanation of Off-farm Work Participation in Rural Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 139-148.
- Dessing, M., 1990. "Support For Microenterprises; Lessons For Sub-Saharan Africa," Papers 122, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Tendler, Judith & Amorim, Monica Alves, 1996. "Small firms and their helpers: Lessons on demand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 407-426, March.
- Livingstone, Ian, 1991. "A reassessment of Kenya's rural and urban informal sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 651-670, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:2020dp:22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.