The nonfarm sector and rural development: review of issues and evidence
In most developing countries, the rural labor force is growing rapidly, but rural employment opportunities are dwindling. This paper brings together empirical evidence on the nonfarm sector and analyzes policies for its future development. It examines the linkages between the farm and nonfarm sectors and between the nonfarm sector and urban enterprises, and considers ways the government can promote rural employment.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1201 Eye Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005-3915|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Park, Albert & Johnston, Bruce, 1995. "Rural Development and Dynamic Externalities in Taiwan's Structural Transformation," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 180-208, October.
- Hazell, Peter B. & Haggblade, Steven, 1990. "Rural - urban growth linkages in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 430, The World Bank.
- Livingstone, Ian, 1991. "A reassessment of Kenya's rural and urban informal sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 651-670, June.
- Dessing, M., 1990. "Support For Microenterprises; Lessons For Sub-Saharan Africa," Papers 122, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Hojjati, Behjat, 1995. "Farm-nonfarm growth linkages in Zambia:," EPTD discussion papers 8, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hazell, Peter B R & Hojjati, Behjat, 1995. "Farm/Non-farm Growth Linkages in Zambia," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 4(3), pages 406-435, December.
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Roell, Ailsa, 1983. "Rural growth linkages: household expenditure patterns in Malaysia and Nigeria," Research reports 41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 1995. "Rural nonfarm employment : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1463, The World Bank.
- Vijverberg, Wim P. M., 1995. "Returns to schooling in non-farm self-employment: An econometric case study of Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1215-1227, July.
- McPherson, Michael A., 1996. "Growth of micro and small enterprises in southern Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 253-277, March.
- Gary H. Jefferson & Thomas G. Rawski, 1994. "Enterprise Reform in Chinese Industry," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 47-70, Spring.
- Haroon Jamal, 1995. "Explanation of Off-farm Work Participation in Rural Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 139-148.
- Pernia, Ernesto M. & Pernia, Joseph M., 1986. "An economic and social impact analysis of small industry promotion: A Philippine experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 637-651, May.
- Ahmed, Raisuddin & Hossain, Mahabub, 1990. "Developmental impact of rural infrastructure in Bangladesh:," Research reports 83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Tendler, Judith & Amorim, Monica Alves, 1996. "Small firms and their helpers: Lessons on demand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 407-426, March.