Occupational Diversification And Access To Rural Employment: Revisiting The Non Farm Employment Debate
There is a growing feeling of urgency for enlarging the ambit of non-farm activities for accelerating the pace of rural development, battering the employment prospects, augmenting productivity and earnings, alleviating poverty and redressing urban problem. It is important to note that what was once deemed as a passive side-route for employment growth is now vociferously recommended as the pivotal plan of a rural development strategy. It is in this context that this paper examines in detail the notion of rural non-farm sector. It explore the theoretical linkages between agricultural sector and the rural non-farm sector and examines in detail the factors may cause diversification towards the rural non-farm sector.
|Date of creation:||02 Jan 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hazell, Peter B. & Haggblade, Steven, 1990. "Rural - urban growth linkages in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 430, The World Bank.
- Junior Davis & Angela Gaburici, 2005. "Non-farm employment in small-scale enterprises in Romania: policy and development issues," Development and Comp Systems 0510019, EconWPA.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1997. "Food marketing liberalization and trader entry: Evidence from Madagascar," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 763-777, May.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001.
"The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries,"
Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 1-23, October.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(1), October.
- Mridul Eapen, 1999. "Economic diversification in Kerala: A spatial analysis," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 293, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Vijay Mahajan & Bharti Gupta Ramola, 1996. "Financial services for the rural poor and women in India: Access and sustainability," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 211-224.
- Islam, Nurul, 1997. "The nonfarm sector and rural development: review of issues and evidence," 2020 vision discussion papers 22, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 1995. "Rural nonfarm employment : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1463, The World Bank.
- Ho, Samuel P. S., 1982. "Economic development and rural industry in South Korea and Taiwan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(11), pages 973-990, November.
- Dirk Bezemer & Junior Davis, 2005. "The rural non-agricultural economy in transition countries: Enterprise level findings from Armenia," Development and Comp Systems 0510020, EconWPA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7870. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.