ECB Collateral Criteria: A Narrative Database 2001–2013
This paper offers an encompassing analysis of the ECB’s collateral criteria between 2001 and 2013. A comprehensive database of changes to collateral criteria is compiled and structured by asset classes. The main findings can be summarized in three stylized facts: (1) Since the outbreak of the financial crisis, the ECB has been six times more active in collateral policy making than in the seven years before. Thereby, the ECBbroadened the eligible collateral pool both (2) at the extensive margin, increasing the quantity of eligible asset types by a factor of 36 and (3) at the intensive margin, by lowering and partially suspending the minimum credit rating requirements. This led toan additional increase in the number of eligible asset types by a factor of 110. The paper tracks these developments using a narrative approach.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstr. 5, 81679 München|
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aviram Levy & Sebastian Schich, 2010. "The Design of Government Guarantees for Bank Bonds: Lessons from the Recent Financial Crisis," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2010(1), pages 35-66.
- Anouk Levels & Jeannette Capel, 2012. "Is Collateral Becoming Scarce? Evidence for the euro area," DNB Occasional Studies 1001, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2017.
"The Euro Trap: On Bursting Bubbles, Budgets, and Beliefs,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198791447.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2014. "The Euro Trap: On Bursting Bubbles, Budgets, and Beliefs," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198702139.
- Manmohan Singh, 2013. "The Changing Collateral Space," IMF Working Papers 13/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Gros, Daniel & Alcidi, Cinzia & Giovannini, Alessandro, 2012. "Central Banks in Times of Crisis: The FED vs. the ECB," CEPS Papers 7160, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Margarida Catalão-Lopes, 2010. "Fixed- and Variable-Rate Tenders in the Management of Liquidity by the Eurosystem: Implications of the Recent Credit Crisis," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 6(2), pages 199-230, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ifowps:_174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.