ECB Collateral Criteria: A Narrative Database 2001–2013
This paper offers an encompassing analysis of the ECB’s collateral criteria between 2001 and 2013. A comprehensive database of changes to collateral criteria is compiled and structured by asset classes. The main findings can be summarized in three stylized facts: (1) Since the outbreak of the financial crisis, the ECB has been six times more active in collateral policy making than in the seven years before. Thereby, the ECBbroadened the eligible collateral pool both (2) at the extensive margin, increasing the quantity of eligible asset types by a factor of 36 and (3) at the intensive margin, by lowering and partially suspending the minimum credit rating requirements. This led toan additional increase in the number of eligible asset types by a factor of 110. The paper tracks these developments using a narrative approach.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manmohan Singh, 2013. "The Changing Collateral Space," IMF Working Papers 13/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Aviram Levy & Sebastian Schich, 2010. "The Design of Government Guarantees for Bank Bonds: Lessons from the Recent Financial Crisis," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2010(1), pages 35-66.
- Anouk Levels & Jeannette Capel, 2012. "Is Collateral Becoming Scarce? Evidence for the euro area," DNB Occasional Studies 1001, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Margarida Catalão-Lopes, 2010. "Fixed- and Variable-Rate Tenders in the Management of Liquidity by the Eurosystem: Implications of the Recent Credit Crisis," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 6(2), pages 199-230, June.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2014. "The Euro Trap: On Bursting Bubbles, Budgets, and Beliefs," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198702139, March.
- Gros, Daniel & Alcidi, Cinzia & Giovannini, Alessandro, 2012. "Central Banks in Times of Crisis: The FED vs. the ECB," CEPS Papers 7160, Centre for European Policy Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ifowps:_174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.