National Borders, Conflict and Peace
This paper reviews the economics approach to conflict and national borders. The paper (a) provides a summary of ideas and concepts from the economics literature on the size of nations; (b) illustrates them within a simple analytical framework where populations fight over borders and resources, and may form non-aggression pacts, military alliances, and political unions; and (c) discusses extensions and directions for further research.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanjeev Goyal & Klaas Staal, 2000.
"The Political Economy of Regionalism,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-014/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Goyal, S. & Staal, K., 1999. "The political economy of regionalism," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9957-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Klaas Staal, 2000. "The Political Economy of Regionalism," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0287, Econometric Society.
- Enrico Spolaore, 2007.
"Civil Conflict and Secessions,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0705, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Paolo Mauro, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712.
- Enrico Spolaore & Romain Wacziarg, 2002.
"Borders and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
9223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel, 2003.
"Stable Alliance Formation in Distributional Conflict,"
0305001, EconWPA, revised 16 Jun 2003.
- Garfinkel, Michelle R., 2004. "Stable alliance formation in distributional conflict," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 829-852, November.
- Bordignon, Massimo & Brusco, Sandro, 1999.
"Optimal secession rules,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
99-51, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Alesina, Alberto & Spolaore, Enrico, 2006.
"Conflict, defense spending, and the number of nations,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 91-120, January.
- Spolaore, Enrico & Alesina, Alberto, 2006. "Conflict, Defense Spending, and the Number of Nations," Scholarly Articles 4553016, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore & Romain Wacziarg, 1997.
"Economic Integration and Political Disintegration,"
NBER Working Papers
6163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Garfinkel, Michelle R., 2004.
"Global threats and the domestic struggle for power,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 495-508, June.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel, 2003. "Global Threats and the Domestic Struggle for Power," Public Economics 0306001, EconWPA.
- Spolaore, Enrico & Alesina, Alberto, 2005.
"War, Peace, and the Size of Countries,"
4553002, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Enrico Spolaore & Alberto Alesina, 2001. "War, Peace and the Size of Countries," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1937, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- DESMET, Klaus & LE BRETON, Michel & ORTUNO-ORTIN, Ignacio & WEBER, Shlomo, 2006.
"Nation formation and genetic diversity,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006095, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Desmet, Klaus & Le Breton, Michel & Ortuño-Ortín, Ignacio & Weber, Shlomo, 2006. "Nation Formation and Genetic Diversity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5918, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Desmet, Klaus & Le Breton, Michel & Ortuno-Ortin, Ignacio, 2006. "Nation Formation and Genetic Diversity," IDEI Working Papers 133, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Enrico Spolaore, 2004. "Economic Integration, International Conflict and Political Unions," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(5), pages 3-50, September.
- Swee, Eik Leong, 2015. "Together or separate? Post-conflict partition, ethnic homogenization, and the provision of public schooling," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(C), pages 1-15.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1998. "Externalities vs internalities: a model of political integration," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 251-268, May.
- Bolton, Patrick & Roland, Gerard & Spolaore, Enrico, 1996. "Economic theories of the break-up and integration of nations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 697-705, April.
- Johannes Münster, 2007. "Simultaneous inter- and intra-group conflicts," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 32(2), pages 333-352, August.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1995.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
NBER Working Papers
5050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José G. Montalvo & Marta Reynal-Querol, 2005. "Ethnic Polarization, Potential Conflict, and Civil Wars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 796-816, June.
- José Garcia Montalvo & Marta Reynal-Querol, 2004. "Ethnic polarization, potential conflict and civil wars," Economics Working Papers 770, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2005.
- Weingast, Barry R. & Wittman, Donald, 2008. "The Oxford Handbook of Political Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199548477, December.
- Wärneryd, Karl, 1997.
"Distributional Conflict and Jurisdictional Organization,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
173, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Warneryd, Karl, 1998. "Distributional conflict and jurisdictional organization," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 435-450, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2860. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.