National Borders, Conflict and Peace
This paper reviews the economics approach to conflict and national borders. The paper (a) provides a summary of ideas and concepts from the economics literature on the size of nations; (b) illustrates them within a simple analytical framework where populations fight over borders and resources, and may form non-aggression pacts, military alliances, and political unions; and (c) discusses extensions and directions for further research.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goyal, Sanjeev & Staal, Klaas, 2004.
"The political economy of regionalism,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 563-593, June.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Klaas Staal, 2000. "The Political Economy of Regionalism," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0287, Econometric Society.
- Goyal, S. & Staal, K., 1999. "The political economy of regionalism," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9957-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1995.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
NBER Working Papers
5050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Enrico Spolaore & Alberto Alesina, 2001.
"War, Peace and the Size of Countries,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1937, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Warneryd, Karl, 1998.
"Distributional conflict and jurisdictional organization,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 435-450, September.
- Wärneryd, Karl, 1997. "Distributional Conflict and Jurisdictional Organization," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 173, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Spolaore, Enrico & Wacziarg, Romain, 2002.
"Borders and Growth,"
1761, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Johannes Münster, 2007. "Simultaneous inter- and intra-group conflicts," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 333-352, August.
- Spolaore, Enrico & Alesina, Alberto, 2006.
"Conflict, Defense Spending, and the Number of Nations,"
4553016, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alesina, Alberto & Spolaore, Enrico, 2006. "Conflict, defense spending, and the number of nations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 91-120, January.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel, 2003.
"Stable Alliance Formation in Distributional Conflict,"
0305001, EconWPA, revised 16 Jun 2003.
- Garfinkel, Michelle R., 2004. "Stable alliance formation in distributional conflict," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 829-852, November.
- DESMET, Klaus & LE BRETON, Michel & ORTUNO-ORTIN, Ignacio & WEBER, Shlomo, 2006.
"Nation formation and genetic diversity,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006095, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Desmet, Klaus & Le Breton, Michel & Ortuno-Ortin, Ignacio, 2006. "Nation Formation and Genetic Diversity," IDEI Working Papers 133, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Desmet, Klaus & Le Breton, Michel & Ortuño-Ortín, Ignacio & Weber, Shlomo, 2006. "Nation Formation and Genetic Diversity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5918, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Garfinkel, Michelle R., 2004.
"Global threats and the domestic struggle for power,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 495-508, June.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel, 2003. "Global Threats and the Domestic Struggle for Power," Public Economics 0306001, EconWPA.
- Bordignon, Massimo & Brusco, Sandro, 1999.
"Optimal secession rules,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
99-51, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Enrico Spolaore, 2008.
"Civil conflict and secessions,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 45-63, January.
- Enrico Spolaore, 2007. "Civil Conflict and Secessions," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0705, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Enrico Spolaore, 2004. "Economic Integration, International Conflict and Political Unions," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(5), pages 3-50, September.
- Jos� G. Montalvo & Marta Reynal-Querol, 2005. "Ethnic Polarization, Potential Conflict, and Civil Wars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 796-816, June.
- José Garcia Montalvo & Marta Reynal-Querol, 2004. "Ethnic polarization, potential conflict and civil wars," Economics Working Papers 770, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2005.
- Mauro, Paolo, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712, August.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1998. "Externalities vs internalities: a model of political integration," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 251-268, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2860. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.