Managing Migration through Conflicting Policies: an Option-theory Perspective
Recent European legislation on immigration has revealed a particular paradox on migration policies. On the one hand, the trend of recent legislation points to the increasing closure of frontiers (OECD 1999, 2001,2004), trying to limit the immigrants’ stock. On the other hand, there is an increase in regularization, i.e., European policies are becoming less tight. Our aim here is to develop a theoretical model that tries to explain if it is better for the government to tighten or relax limits for immigrants in order to control migration inflows better. To this end, we use a real option approach to migration choice that assumes that the decision to migrate can be described as an irreversible investment decision. In our model the government has in mind a specific upper bound on immigrants, and the policies adopted (admission requirements or regularizations) are signals for each potential migrant that reveal information about this limit. Our results show that promoting uncertainty over this migration upper bound may improve the government’s control on migration inflows (quotas). This could explain that the paradox of counterbalancing policies is not an odd evidence. In particular, we show that if the government controls the information related to the immigration stock it could delay the mass entry of immigrants, maintaining the required stock in the long run and controlling the flows in the short-run.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avinash Dixit, 1992.
"Irreversible Investment with Uncertainty and Scale Economies,"
STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series
/1992/240, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1995. "Irreversible investment with uncertainty and scale economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 327-350.
- Avinash Dixit, 1992. "Irreversible investment with uncertainty and scale economies," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19372, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Steven R. Grenadier, 2002. "Option Exercise Games: An Application to the Equilibrium Investment Strategies of Firms," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 691-721.
- Holger Feist, 1998. "Wage-distance regulation in social-welfare programs: An option-theory perspective," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 68(3), pages 271-293, October.
- Burda, Michael C, 1995.
"Migration and the Option Value of Waiting,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1229, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. C. Burda, 1995. "Migration and the Option Value of Waiting," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,58, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Burda,M.C., 1995. "Migration and the Option Value of Waiting," Papers 597, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Gil Epstein & Shmuel Nitzan, 2006.
"The struggle over migration policy,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 703-723, October.
- Epstein, Gil S & Gang, Ira, 2004.
"Ethnic Networks and International Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Epstein, Gil S. & Gang, Ira N., 2004. "Ethnic Networks and International Trade," IZA Discussion Papers 1232, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gil S. Epstein & Ira Gang, 2004. "Ethnic Networks and International Trade," Departmental Working Papers 200425, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Leahy, John V, 1993. "Investment in Competitive Equilibrium: The Optimality of Myopic Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 1105-33, November.
- Sergio Vergalli, 2006.
"Entry and Exit Strategies in Migration Dynamics,"
2006.123, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Tito Boeri & Herbert Brücker, 2005. "Why are Europeans so tough on migrants?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(44), pages 629-703, October.
- Sergio Vergalli, 2006.
"The Role of Community in Migration Dynamics,"
2006.4, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ira N. Gang & Thomas Bauer & Gil S. Epstein, 2002.
"Herd Effects or Migration Networks? The Location Choice of Mexican Immigrants in the U.S,"
Departmental Working Papers
200216, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Epstein, Gil S. & Gang, Ira N., 2002. "Herd Effects or Migration Networks? The Location Choice of Mexican Immigrants in the U.S," IZA Discussion Papers 551, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas & Epstein, Gil S & Gang, Ira, 2002. "Herd Effects or Migration Networks? The Location Choice of Mexican Immigrants in the US," CEPR Discussion Papers 3505, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Moretto, Michele, 2008.
"Competition and irreversible investments under uncertainty,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Michele Moretto, 2003. "Competition and Irreversible Investments under Uncertainty," Working Papers 2003.32, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Michele Moretto, 2007. "Competition and Irreversible Investments under Uncertainty," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0058, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Hill, John K., 1987. "Immigrant decisions concerning duration of stay and migratory frequency," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 221-234, February.
- Timothy J. Hatton, 2004. "Seeking asylum in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 19(38), pages 5-62, 04.
- Cesare Dosi & Michele Moretto, 1999.
"Is Ecolabelling a Reliable Environmental Policy Measure?,"
1999.9, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cesare Dosi & Michele Moretto, 2001. "Is Ecolabelling a Reliable Environmental Policy Measure?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(1), pages 113-127, January.
- Bartolini, Leonardo, 1995. "Foreign investment quotas and rent extraction under uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 25-49, February.
- Michele Moretto & Sergio Vergalli, 2005.
ubs0507, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1998.
"Expandability, Reversibility, and Optimal Capacity Choice,"
NBER Working Papers
6373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dixit, Avinash K. & Pindyck, Robert S. & Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research., 2003. "Expandability, reversibility, and optimal capacity choice," Working papers 97-006WP., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2731. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.