The Surprising French Employment Performance: What Lessons?
Although widely regarded as a textbook case of a rigid economy, in the late 1990s France was able to increase employment by 10 per cent within five years and to cut down unemployment by more than a fourth. This paper investigates what factors may account for this surprising performance. The evidence suggests a significant shift in the demand for labour, that can be partially ascribed to cuts in social security contributions introduced in the 1990s and to the later move to a 35 hours work week. Although a large proportion of companies reported difficulties in hiring, the sharp reduction in unemployment did not result in significant wage pressure. Nevertheless, new measures aiming at fostering labour supply were introduced in the early 2000s. The emphasis on stimulating labour demand that characterised French labour market policies in the 1990s was more successful than expected by observers. This lends support to the advocates of active labour market policies. However, the budgetary cost of this approach has also been high. Whether this strategy is sustainable in the medium run is likely to become increasingly an issue.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yannick L’Horty & Denis Anne & Michel Dollé, 2002. "Transferts sociaux locaux et retour à l’emploi ; suivi d'un commentaire de Michel Dollé, et d'une réponse au commentaire, de Denis Anne et Yannick L'Horty," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 357(1), pages 49-78.
- Eric Heyer & Xavier Timbeau, 2000.
"35 heures: réduction réduite,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/1646, Sciences Po.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/4782 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marc Gurgand & David Margolis, 2001.
"RMI et revenus du travail : une évaluation des gains financiers à l'emploi,"
Économie et Statistique,
Programme National Persée, vol. 346(1), pages 103-122.
- Gurgand, M. & Margolis, D., 2001. "RMI et revenus du travail : une evaluation des gains financiers a l'emploi," Dossiers de recherche- 09, Centre d'etudes de l'emploi.
- Bernard Salanié & Guy Laroque, 2000. "Une décomposition du non-emploi en France," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 331(1), pages 47-66.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/1646 is not listed on IDEAS
- David N. Margolis, 2002. "Licenciements collectifs et délais de reprise d'emploi," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 351(1), pages 65-85.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Johanna Melka & Nanno Mulder & Laurence Nayman & Soledad Zignago, 2003. "Skills, Technology and Growth is ICT the Key to Success ? An Analysis of ICT Impact on French Growth," Working Papers 2003-04, CEPII research center.
- O Blanchard & A Landier, 2002. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Labour Market Reform: fixed--Term Contracts in France," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(480), pages F214-F244, June.
- repec:fth:inseep:2000-01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jean-Paul Fitoussi, 1998. "Croissance et chômage," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/4782, Sciences Po.
- Éric Heyer & Xavier Timbeau, 2000. "35 heures : réduction réduite," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 53-95.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_1078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.