Estimates of the steady state growth rates for some European countries
This paper estimates the steady state growth rates for the main European countries with an extended version of the Solow (1956) growth model. Total factor productivity is assumed a function of human capital, trade openness and investment ratio. We show that these factors, with some differences, have played an important role to improve the long run growth rates of Italy, Spain, France, UK, and Ireland. A few policies to improve the long-run growth rates for these countries are suggested.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993.
"A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Tom Doan, . "SWDOLS: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using dynamic OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00207, Boston College Department of Economics.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Arusha Cooray, 2012.
"How useful is growth literature for policies in the developing countries?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(6), pages 671-681, February.
- Cooray, Arusha & B. Bhaskara Rao, 2009. "How Useful is Growth Literature for Policies in the Developing Countries?," Economics Working Papers wp09-09, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Cooray, Arusha, 2009. "How useful is Growth Literature for Policies in the Developing Countries?," MPRA Paper 14573, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B. Bhaskara Rao, 2010.
"Time-series econometrics of growth-models: a guide for applied economists,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 73-86.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara, 2006. "Time Series Econometrics of Growth Models: A Guide for Applied Economists," MPRA Paper 1547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Martin Schindler, 2009. "The Italian Labor Market: Recent Trends, Institutions, and Reform Options," IMF Working Papers 09/47, International Monetary Fund.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The level and growth effects of human capital in India," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 59-62.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Johnson,P.A. & Temple,J.R.W., 2004.
18, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Johnson, Paul & Durlauf, Steven N & Temple, Johnathan R. W., 2004. "Growth Econometrics," Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series 61, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992.
"A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-63, September.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991. "A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 609, The World Bank.
- K.P.V. O'Sullivan & Tom Kennedy, 2010. "What caused the Irish banking crisis?," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(3), pages 224-242, July.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2003. "The Surprising French Employment Performance: What Lessons?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1078, CESifo Group Munich.
- Robert J. Barro, 1996.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study,"
NBER Working Papers
5698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 1998. "Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522543, June.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Garcia-Serrano, Carlos & Jimeno, Juan F, 2001.
"Drawing Lessons From the Boom of Temporary Jobs in Spain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2884, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan J Dolado & Carlos Garcia--Serrano & Juan F. Jimeno, 2002. "Drawing Lessons From The Boom Of Temporary Jobs In Spain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(721), pages F270-F295, June.
- Antonio Paradiso & B. Bhaskara Rao, 2011.
"How to offset the negative trend growth rate in the Italian economy?,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(15), pages 1479-1483.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Antonio, Paradiso, 2010. "How to offset the negative trend growth rate in the Italian economy?," MPRA Paper 26557, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Antonio, Paradiso, 2010. "How to offset the negative trend growth rate in the Italian economy?," MPRA Paper 26421, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2010.
"Globalization and growth in the low Income African countries with the extreme bounds analysis,"
21924, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2011. "Globalization and growth in the low income African countries with the extreme bounds analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 795-805, May.
- Michele Boldrin & José Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Javier Díaz Giménez, 2010. "Eppur si Muove! Spain: Growing without a Model," Working Papers 2010-12, FEDEA.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Hansen, Bruce E, 1990.
"Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125, January.
- Tom Doan, . "FM: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using Fully Modified Least Squares," Statistical Software Components RTS00069, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jones, Charles I, 1995. "Time Series Tests of Endogenous Growth Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 495-525, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:29:y:2012:i:4:p:1119-1125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.