What Determines the Long run Growth in Kenya?
Lifting the long run growth rate is, arguably, the pursuit of every economy. What should Kenya do to enhance its long run growth rate? This paper attempts to answer this question by examining the determinants of total factor productivity (TFP) in Kenya. We utilized the theoretical insights from the Solow (1956) growth model and its extension by Mankiw, Romer and Weil (1992) and followed Senhadji’s (2000) growth accounting procedure. We find that growth in Kenya, until the 1990s was mainly due to factor accumulation. Since then, TFP has made a small contribution to growth. Our findings imply that while variables like overseas development aid, foreign direct investment and progress of financial sector improves TFP, trade openness is the key determinant. Consequently, policy makers should focus on policies that improve trade openness if long run growth rate is to be raised.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Durlauf, Steven N. & Johnson, Paul A. & Temple, Jonathan R.W., 2005.
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 555-677
- Johnson, Paul & Durlauf, Steven N & Temple, Johnathan R. W., 2004. "Growth Econometrics," Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series 61, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Johnson,P.A. & Temple,J.R.W., 2004. "Growth econometrics," Working papers 18, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Mark Rogers, 2003. "A Survey of Economic Growth," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 79(244), pages 112-135, 03.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Vita, G. & Endresen, K. & Hunt, L.C., 2006.
"An empirical analysis of energy demand in Namibia,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3447-3463, December.
- Glauco De Vita & Klaus Endresen & Lester C Hunt, 2005. "An Empirical Analysis of Energy Demand in Namibia," Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics Discussion Papers (SEEDS) 110, Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Abdelhak Senhadji, 2000. "Sources of Economic Growth: An Extensive Growth Accounting Exercise," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(1), pages 6.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Bruce E. Hansen, 1990. "Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Gazi Hassan, 2011. "Determinants of the long-run growth rate of Bangladesh," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(7), pages 655-658.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Rup Singh & Saten Kumar, 2010.
"Do we need time series econometrics?,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(7), pages 695-697.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Singh, Rup & Kumar, Saten, 2008. "Do we need time series econometrics?," MPRA Paper 6627, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Singh, Rup & Kumar, Saten, 2008. "Do we need time series econometrics," MPRA Paper 10530, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Sep 2008.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara, 2008.
"Estimates of the Steady State Growth Rates for Selected Asian Countries with an Extended Solow Model,"
9724, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Jul 2008.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara, 2010. "Estimates of the steady state growth rates for selected Asian countries with an extended Solow model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 46-53, January.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- B. Bhaskara Rao, 2010.
"Time-series econometrics of growth-models: a guide for applied economists,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 73-86.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara, 2006. "Time Series Econometrics of Growth Models: A Guide for Applied Economists," MPRA Paper 1547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur, 2008. "A model of growth and finance: FIML estimates for India," MPRA Paper 8763, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Maheshwar Rao, 2009. "Openness and growth in Fiji: some time series evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(13), pages 1653-1662.
- Oketch, Moses O., 2006. "Determinants of human capital formation and economic growth of African countries," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 554-564, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24338. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.