An Empirical Analysis of Energy Demand in Namibia
Using a unique database of end-user local energy data and the recently developed Autoregressive Distributed Lag (ARDL) bounds testing approach to cointegration, we estimate the long-run elasticities of the Namibian energy demand function at both aggregated level and by type of energy (electricity, petrol and diesel) for the period 1980 to 2002. Our main results show that energy consumption responds positively to changes in GDP and negatively to changes in energy price and air temperature. The differences in price elasticities across fuels uncovered by this study have significant implications for energy taxation by Namibian policy makers. We do not find any significant cross-price elasticities between different fuel types.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Energy Policy, 34(18), 2006, pp. 3447-3463. (Revised Version)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44(0)1483 686956
Fax: +44(0)1483 689548
Web page: http://www.seec.surrey.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bentzen, J. & Engsted, T., 1999.
"A Revival of the Autoregressive Distributed Lag Model in Estimating Energy Demand Relationships,"
99-7, Aarhus School of Business - Department of Economics.
- Bentzen, Jan & Engsted, Tom, 2001. "A revival of the autoregressive distributed lag model in estimating energy demand relationships," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 45-55.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Milton Friedman, 1962. "Introduction to "The Interpolation of Time Series by Related Series"," NBER Chapters, in: The Interpolation of Time Series by Related Series, pages 1-3 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Brenton, 1997.
"Estimates of the demand for energy using cross-country consumption data,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(7), pages 851-859.
- Brenton, P., 1995. "Estimates of the Demand for Energy Using Cross-Country Consumption Data," Discussion Papers 95-25, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Jesper Stage, 2002. "Structural Shifts In Namibian Energy Use: An Input-Output Approach," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 70(6), pages 1103-1125, 09.
- Lester C Hunt & Guy Judge & Yasushi Ninomiya, 2003.
"Modelling Underlying Energy Demand Trends,"
Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics Discussion Papers (SEEDS)
105, Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- James M. Griffin & Craig T. Schulman, 2005. "Price Asymmetry in Energy Demand Models: A Proxy for Energy-Saving Technical Change?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-22.
- Dermot Gately & Hiliard G. Huntington, 2002. "The Asymmetric Effects of Changes in Price and Income on Energy and Oil Demand," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 19-55.
- Ibrahim, Ibrahim B. & Hurst, Christopher, 1990. "Estimating energy and oil demand functions : A study of thirteen developing countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 93-102, April.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & David H. Papell, 1997.
"Multiple Trend Breaks And The Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 212-218, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LPUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Lumsdaine-Papell unit root test with structural breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00110, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jesper Stage & Florette Fleermuys, 2001. "Energy use in the Namibian economy from 1995 to 1998," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 423-441.
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Milton Friedman, 1962. "The Interpolation of Time Series by Related Series," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie62-1, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sur:seedps:110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lester C Hunt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.