Trade Liberalization And Labor Shares In China
We estimate the extent to which firms responded to tariff reductions associated with China’s WTO entry by altering labor’s share of value. Firm-level regressions indicate that firms in industries subject to tariff cuts raised labor’s share relative to economy-wide trends, both through input choices and rent sharing. Labor’s share of value is an estimated 12 percent higher in 2007 than it would be if tariffs had remained at their 1998 levels. There is significant variation across firms: the impact is larger where market access is better and it is influenced by union presence and state ownership.
|Date of creation:||May 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (301) 763-6460
Fax: (301) 763-5935
Web page: http://www.census.gov/ces
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan De Loecker & Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Amit K. Khandelwal & Nina Pavcnik, 2012.
"Prices, Markups and Trade Reform,"
NBER Working Papers
17925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan De Loecker, 2014. "Price, Markups and Trade Reforms," Working Papers id:5900, eSocialSciences.
- De Loecker, Jan & Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Khandelwal, Amit & Pavcnik, Nina, 2012. "Prices, Markups and Trade Reform," CEPR Discussion Papers 8900, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan De Loecker & Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Amit K. Khandelwal & Nina Pavcnik, 2012. "Prices, Markups and Trade Reform," Working Papers 1403, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Lu, Yi & Tao, Zhigang & Wang, Yijiang, 2010. "Union effects on performance and employment relations: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 202-210, March.
- Yang, Dennis T. & Chen, Vivian & Monarch, Ryan, 2010.
"Rising Wages: Has China Lost Its Global Labor Advantage?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5008, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- DennisTao Yang & VivianWeijia Chen & Ryan Monarch, 2010. "Rising Wages: Has China Lost Its Global Labor Advantage?," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 482-504, October.
- Dennis Tao Yang & Vivian Chen & Ryan Monarch, 2009. "Rising Wages: Has China Lost Its Global Labor Advantage?," Economics Program Working Papers 09-03, The Conference Board, Economics Program.
- Fariha Kamal & Mary E. Lovely, 2013. "Labor Allocation in China: Implicit Taxation of the Heterogeneous Non-State Sector," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 59(4), pages 731-758, December.
- Petia Topalova & Amit Khandelwal, 2011.
"Trade Liberalization and Firm Productivity: The Case of India,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 995-1009, August.
- Petia Topalova, 2004. "Trade Liberalization and Firm Productivity: The Case of India," IMF Working Papers 04/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Hartmut Egger & Udo Kreickemeier, 2009.
"Firm Heterogeneity And The Labor Market Effects Of Trade Liberalization,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(1), pages 187-216, 02.
- Hartmut Egger & Udo Kreickemeier, 2007. "Firm Heterogeneity and the Labour Market Effects of Trade Liberalisation," CESifo Working Paper Series 2000, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Amit Kumar Khandelwal & Nina Pavcnik & Petia Topalova, 2010.
"Imported Intermediate Inputs and Domestic Product Growth: Evidence from India,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 125(4), pages 1727-1767, November.
- Pinelopi Goldberg & Amit Khandelwal & Nina Pavcnik & Petia Topalova, 2009. "Imported Intermediate Inputs and Domestic Product Growth: Evidence from India," Working Papers 1179, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Amit Khandelwal & Nina Pavcnik & Petia Topalova, 2008. "Imported Intermediate Inputs and Domestic Product Growth: Evidence from India," NBER Working Papers 14416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michel Dumont & Glenn Rayp & Peter Willemé, 2006. "Does internationalization affect union bargaining power? An empirical study for five EU countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(1), pages 77-102, January.
- Luosha Du & Ann Harrison & Gary Jefferson, 2011.
"Do Institutions Matter for FDI Spillovers? The Implications of China’s “Special Characteristics”,"
33, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School, revised Sep 2012.
- Du, Luosha & Harrison, Ann & Jefferson, Gary, 2011. "Do institutions matter for FDI spillovers ? the implications of China's"special characteristics"," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5757, The World Bank.
- Handley, Kyle & Limão, Nuno, 2013.
"Policy Uncertainty, Trade and Welfare: Theory and Evidence for China and the U.S,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9615, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kyle Handley & Nuno Limão, 2013. "Policy Uncertainty, Trade and Welfare: Theory and Evidence for China and the U.S," NBER Working Papers 19376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ahsan, Reshad N. & Mitra, Devashish, 2014. "Trade liberalization and labor's slice of the pie: Evidence from Indian firms," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 1-16.
- Harrison, Ann, 2005. "Has Globalization Eroded Labor’s Share? Some Cross-Country Evidence," MPRA Paper 39649, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jorge Saba Arbache, 2004. "Does trade liberalization always decrease union bargaining power?," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 5(1), pages 99-121, January-J.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521848053 is not listed on IDEAS
- BAI, Chong-En & QIAN, Zhenjie, 2010. "The factor income distribution in China: 1978-2007," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 650-670, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cen:wpaper:14-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.