How non-Gaussian shocks affect risk premia in non-linear DSGE models
This paper studies how non-Gaussian shocks affect risk premia in DSGE models approximated to second and third order. Based on an extension of the work by Schmitt-Grohe and Uribe to third order, we derive propositions for how rare disasters, stochastic volatility, and GARCH affect any risk premia in a wide class of DSGE models. To quantify these effects, we then set up a standard New Keynesian DSGE model where total factor productivity includes rare disasters, stochastic volatility, and GARCH. We find that rare disasters increase the mean level of the ten-year nominal term premium, whereas a key effect of stochastic volatility and GARCH is an increase in the variability of this premium.
|Date of creation:||15 Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London, EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geert Bekaert & Seonghoon Cho & Antonio Moreno, 2005.
"New-Keynesian Macroeconomics and the Term Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
11340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert & Seonghoon Cho & Antonio Moreno, 2010. "New Keynesian Macroeconomics and the Term Structure," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(1), pages 33-62, 02.
- Antonio Moreno & Geert Bekaert & Seonghoon Cho, 2004. "New-Keynesian Macroeconomics and the Term Structure," 2004 Meeting Papers 388, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Seonghoon Cho & Antonio Moreno & Geert Bekaert, 2005. "New-Keynesian Macroeconomics and the Term Structure," Faculty Working Papers 04/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Bekaert, Geert & Cho, Seonghoon & Moreno Ibáñez, Antonio, 2006. "New-Keynesian Macroeconomics and the Term Structure," CEPR Discussion Papers 5956, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bianca De Paoli & Alasdair Scott & Olaf Weeken, 2007.
"Asset pricing implications of a New Keynesian model,"
Bank of England working papers
326, Bank of England.
- De Paoli, Bianca & Scott, Alasdair & Weeken, Olaf, 2010. "Asset pricing implications of a New Keynesian model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2056-2073, October.
- Bianca De Paoli, Alasdair Scott, Olaf Weeken, 2007. "Asset pricing implications for a New Keynesian model," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 156, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Bianca De Paoli & Alasdair Scott & Olaf Weeken, 2006. "Asset pricing implications of a New Keynesian model," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 358, Society for Computational Economics.
- Bianca De Paoli & Alasdair Scott & Olaf Weeken, 2010. "Asset pricing implications of a new keynesian model," Post-Print hal-00732761, HAL.
- Michele Boldrin & Lawrence J. Christiano & Jonas D. M. Fisher, 1999.
"Habit persistence, asset returns and the business cycles,"
Working Paper Series
WP-99-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Michele Boldrin & Jonas D. M. Fisher, 2001. "Habit Persistence, Asset Returns, and the Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 149-166, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Lawrence J. Christiano & Jonas D. M. Fisher, 2000. "Habit persistence, asset returns and the business cycle," Staff Report 280, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Eric T. Swanson & Gary S. Anderson & Andrew T. Levin, 2006. "Higher-order perturbation solutions to dynamic, discrete-time rational expectations models," Working Paper Series 2006-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- OndŘej KamenÍk, 2005.
"Solving SDGE Models: A New Algorithm for the Sylvester Equation,"
Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 167-187, February.
- Ondrej Kamenik, 2005. "Solving SDGE Models: A New Algorithm for the Sylvester Equation," Working Papers 2005/10, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Peter Hördahl & Oreste Tristani & David Vestin, 2008.
"The Yield Curve and Macroeconomic Dynamics,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(533), pages 1937-1970, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:0417. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Media Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.